Platte Falls public land

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Droptine5, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Droptine5

Droptine5 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    KC
    Just want to know if anyone has been to Platte Falls public land north of KC. I took off thursday and friday and went for my first public land experience, was actually better then I thought. I seen a spike, 2 does, 4 point and a decent buck but it was to dark to tell exactly how nice he was. Did not get to take one, but want to know if anyone else has hunted that much and what they think.

2. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Platte Falls has some big deer in it but it gets hunted hard. My best advice is go as far away from the road as possible to get away from some of the crowd, but hope you have a good deer cart or a couple buddies to drag it that far.

3. BMoeller

BMoeller Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Hunted hard and seems as though someone has a stand on every square inch of the property. Used to try it a few years ago but got tired of all the people. There is better places around, you just need to look. I wont waste my time there any more.

4. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Platte Falls is about 4 miles or so from my front door. Great area and I know there are good deer on it but haven't hunted it much.

They do have a nice archery range there though.

5. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    exactly what everyone else said... There are big deer there. They get hunted hard. And even a mile walk in you run into the treestands on every tree it seems. Though there are some spots I still hunt every year up there. But I noticed this year they let alot of the crop fields just weed up and didnt plant.

6. Droptine5

Droptine5 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    KC
    Thats what it seems like, I went out to one spot during the day last week trying to scout a place and every spot I seen that looked good already had a stand in it. You are right if you shoot something it will be a haul to get it out, I would almost drag it to the river and get a boat:D. Might still give it a try during the week, hopefully the pressure will be less. One spot I was in had alot of sign and I did see deer.

7. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    killed a nice turkey there but didn't deer hunt there. Used to use the archery range alot and had a doe run right through there while we were hunting.