Planting seed with fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by SmokinBarrel, Mar 9, 2006.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I was planning to disc, and plant seed tommorrow, provided it isn't to muddy (near Moberly). Anyway, should I throw the fertilizer first, then disc, then plant my seed? I'm using 6-24-24. Unfortanetly, that's all the local Co-op had. I'd prefer 0-60-0.

2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    The way I do depends on what seed I'm putting out.
    If i'm planting a bigger seed that needs to be in the ground a little deeper I usually broadcast my seed and fertilizer then bury both together. If it's a smaller seed like clover I have done it two ways. I've fertilized, then lightly turned the soil to get the fertilizer just under the surface, then seeded. I have also just worked the ground and broadcast both fertilizer and seed on top. Both ways gave good results so i can't say which is better from my experience.

Just out of curiosity, why did you want 0-60-0?

3. rmr

rmr New Member

Unless you are coming up to around Moberly anyway, you might want to save your day off
    for another day because it will be to muddy to disc, was in Moberly last night and it looked muddy to me. we had 1.25 in Salisbury 20 miles west of moberly.
    to answer your question you can put your fertilizer on at the same time as your seed.
    alot of people mix clover seed into there fert when sowing into wheat or pastures. I think your 6-24-24 would be fine for clover.

4. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm planting a mix of clovers, chicory and small amount of alfalfa. Of which, those don't require nitrogen. My soil test shows plenty of nitrogen, very low phosphorous, and medium potash. Thus, I'd rather throw mostly phosphorous than nitrogen or potash. From what I understand, 0-60-0 has some nitrogen in the mix, but I like the thought of 0-60-0.

5. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    SB, If you get Triple-Super-Phosphate (0-46-0) it won't have any nitrogen in it.

6. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    HOME AT LAST!!
    Multiple times I have had the farm service stores that do a custom mix throw the seed (clover and chicory both) in the hopper and mix in with the fertilizer. I then plant the same day, I hear the fertilizer can burn the seed if left together too long. I have had good luck every time I have done it.

7. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    White Marsh - where do I get super 0-46-0?

8. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    The cheapest place would be any bulk plant food blender such as MFA Plant Foods, Coop, or any other fertilizer plant. They will generally have several tons of TSP on hand and will sell you any quantity that you need. If you want it bagged, most garden supply stores carry it, but it will be more expensive.

9. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    I'm putting in a clover plot.

Planning to lime, then fertilize with P & K.

What is a good rule of thumb for #lbs fertilizer per acre (without soil test)?

10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

11. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg