planting for cover question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by JrNation88, May 30, 2009.

1. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    my food plot sits in such a way that at the right times and angles can be seen from a gravel road. Not real worried about it but am still wanting to plant some cover. I currently have 6 rows of corn around the perimeter and Whitetail Institutes Power Plant in the middle. These two things should grow nice and tall where they can feel secure but will be gone by the fall season.

Any suggestions on something I can plant for the fall that would give the deer security to come on out and eat?

2. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    There really isn't a fall forage that will provide cover. You could broadcast into the Powerplant or use sections of it for cover and carve out a smaller plot.

3. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    There are lots of things you can plant in the Spring that will give you a perennial border in two years. The Elderberry I planted just over a year ago is now 7-8 feet tall, and about as wide. Ninebark is another, because it holds its leaves well into Winter. Both of these plants produce soft mast in abundance, and are preferred browse.

Hybrid Poplar and Hybrid Willow are the fastest growing trees. The Hybrid Poplar I planted a year ago is well over 10 feet tall. If you have moist soil, Silky Dogwood will grow to seven feet in about two years, and have an equal spread. Wild Plum is a bit slower, but puts up a thicket/barrier that would keep all but the fool hardy out.

Perennial borders don't require reseeding, machinery, fertilizing... My 2 cents is that they are the way to go.

4. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
  5. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    are you going to cut the corn down or what? if not it should be there thru most of the fall. as they said above perranials will be best for the long term.