Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What planters are you guys using for your beans and corn?

I am getting ready to sell my smaller tractor and use the funds for new tires on the larger tractor. With the excess, I am looking to pick up some more equip. I currently have a plow and disc.

Near the top of my list is a planter for RR beans and corn. I keep looking at the JD 71 2 row planters on Ebay and they look pretty handy and simple. What do you guys recommend?
I would like to keep it under $1000, $500 would be even better.

Thanks
Brent

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
How big is your tractor? Hit the farm auctions in your area. I've got an OLD Blackhawk 2 row planter that probably came over on the Mayflower but it still works pretty darned good. If your not planting lots of acres, these old two row planters will work and you can get them into smaller areas due to their small size. You should be able to pick up a 4 row modern style for 4 to 5 hundred, maybe not a JD but still a name brand. If possible, get one with fert. boxes as this can save you lots of money on applying excess fert. thats not needed.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by jaytee]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,040 Posts
I've got a 4 row JD 7000 with dry fertilizer boxes. Paid $800 for it 3 years ago. Thought that was a lot to pay at the time, but quickly learned it was a bargain.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I just picked up a three-point 2 row planter for $40; I have no idea what brand it is, or how to use it, but I thought the three-point alone is probably worth $40.

The old farmer I bought it from also gave me several plates(?) for corn and beans? Next time I'm at the farm I'll snap a few pictures.

Good luck finding your planter. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Trykon has the same type of planter that I use, it sounds like anyway. They may be old technology, but it really aint rocket science.

·
5,092 Posts
i picked up a massey ferguson 3 pt two row planter for 250. no fertilizer boxes though. i used to have a couple of jd 4 row planters and they were too much trouble to make changes on so i got rid of them. the two row planters look real simple to operate (at least on my mf) so i think i'll be able to use mine in my food plot next year. good luck finding one at a good price. it's getting harder by the year. it's probably best to buy them out of season like now!

·
5,092 Posts
look on craigs list for your area. it's better than having to pay shipping from some far of land. my massey ferguson planter fit between the wheel wells of my pickup truck bed.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
i use a old deere 4 row 494 A with bean plates set at 30 inches i double pass on the beans and it is perfect for the corn

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
i got a 12 foot drill and planted beans this year with it and im loaded with beans. covered up the holes to make 21 inch rows for corn but didnt fertilize so corn didnt do to well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My smaller tractor that I am selling is a Ford 2000. I am keeping the Ford 4000.

I have been keeping a eye on craigslist, Ebay, etc.

I will just have to keep my eyes open. There is an annual machinery auction at the local sale barn in March. If I haven't found anything before then.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The smaller type of planters that I have mentioned will work fine behind a 4000 Ford. I'll try to find a pic of mine and post it up. Mine is adjustable for row spacing as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts