Planted Aspens!!

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by jaytee, May 25, 2009.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Got my 4 Aspen trees a couple weeks ago from Minnesota, got them in the ground about 4 days later and they seem to be doing well. So far nothing has munched on 'em but maybe I should put some type of a protector around them. I sure hope they do well.

2. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I recommend protecting them. They might do well all Summer, and then get hammered by a buck in the Fall, or girdled by a wabbit in late Winter.:D How big are they, and where did you plant them?

3. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    They're about 30 inches or so tall. I planted one down along the riparrian area next to my old corn plot, planted one just south of where the hillside NWSG planting is located and then planted the other two on the north edge of the small stand of timber located just south of our future build site.

4. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    What should I use to protect them.? Old sections of PVC pipe or?

5. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    It should be interesting to see how well they grow in those various locations. Aspens sucker from the roots... if you get a good enough stand, they make good browse, and bucks like to rub them. They are fast growing trees, if they like where they're planted.

6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Has anyone tried using the flex drainage pipe and a stake to protect these saplings???? If you split one side with a saw before putting over the sapling it should be easy to remove later if desired. That stuff should be way cheaper by the foot than pvc as well. (?)

:cheers::cheers:

7. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Henry, that's exactly what I do. However, it can lead to plant problems with mold/fungus in wet weather, and cooking the tree in the Summer. So I only use about 18 inches, to keep rodents out, and allow air circulation. Then I put wire around the tree to keep deer out. I pin my wire cages down with 9 gauge wire that is cut and bent into staples, rather than using a T post.

8. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Not a bad idea henry but I'm wondering if with it being black that it would fry the saplings inside?

9. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Jaytee, I have some tree tubes I'll give ya.:cheers:

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I figured the preforations in the pipe would allow some extra ventilation to avoid alot of those problems. A roll of that stuff would cover abunch of saplings.

:cheers::cheers: