Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took these pictures in Oct. Thought was Black locus popping up in CRP. Thinking now maybe Fales indigo even though in a dry area.
Plant Terrestrial plant Woody plant Groundcover Twig
Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Twig Grass
Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Organism Twig
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Twig

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
I'd lean towards false indigo. Planted a bunch of them 15 years ago. Just an fyi, they'll spread on their own, if area is undisturbed.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd lean towards false indigo. Planted a bunch of them 15 years ago. Just an fyi, they'll spread on their own, if area is undisturbed.
Planted thousands of trees and bushes from MDC years ago. 99% where complete bust. Planted wild plum and after 9 years finally starting to spread by root suckers. Wanted to make bush islands in NWSG for quail and deer bedding. Thinking of spraying grass under what ever this is to help spreading. Last years growth looked to be 6 to 8' tall. Hope it can handle late season burns.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
Planted thousands of trees and bushes from MDC years ago. 99% where complete bust. Planted wild plum and after 9 years finally starting to spread by root suckers. Wanted to make bush islands in NWSG for quail and deer bedding. Thinking of spraying grass under what ever this is to help spreading. Last years growth looked to be 6 to 8' tall. Hope it can handle late season burns.

Seasonal burns will not kill it, but they will set it back to new root growth. Everything above ground will die back from burning. False indigo is fast growing though, so withint 2 years, you'll have full plants again that bloom & provide a food source for quail & song birds.

It's a beneficial plant to have in your habitat for wildlife besides deer. Never seen deer do much with it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
False Indigo is my guess too. Deer don’t touch it, but great for quail/birds. Makes good cover. One of the reason it does well is because of the lack of browsing by deer.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
False Indigo is my guess too. Deer don’t touch it, but great for quail/birds. Makes good cover. One of the reason it does well is because of the lack of browsing by deer.

Looking forward to seeing how it grows on drier ground. Never seen it growing in the wild. Would love to know if was something I had planted years ago.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,667 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how it grows on drier ground. Never seen it growing in the wild. Would love to know if was something I had planted years ago.
I know a friend has it growing on a rocky hillside in prairie grasses. Does just fine. Spreading.

Reactions: BC-Buck
1 - 9 of 9 Posts