Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my habitat project yesterday...just making notes and observations...figured Id share with y'all. I'll take pics today I hope...if i dont die in the heat...

1) Big 3.5 acre ridge area looks good. I have killed annuals in most of the area with roundup applied a month ago and will respray today to kill the untreated and to knock down newly emerged. The stumps were treated with Pathway and look good except for the ones the idiot applicator (ME) overlooked. Ill retreat them this weekend.

2) Turkeys have adopted the ridge plot for dusting....key learning...leave a couple large totally bare areas for the birds!!

3) final preplant work will be right at Aug 1 with a mix of Wheat/oats/brassicas/buckwheat for the plot. The margins are going into NWSG as well as the areas either side of the ridge to develop bedding/nesting habitat

4) small plot is 1 1/2 acres of NWSG...its head high!!! looks like deer are using it for bedding and i heard quail yesterday for first time in a long time...death to fescue!

5) The electric fence using the 1/2 wide Gallagher tape is doing a great job

6) Identified the cedars I need to remove and have plans for a major weekend of cutting dragging and burning when we have wet conditions .

7) Ticks are out in tandems...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Good stuff Wooddust...we heard at least three coveys of Quail at our lease, Lancaster MO, and I saw one along the road...I gave out a bobwhite whistle and it seemed to brustle up and look reeeeaaall mean, at least for a quail!:banana:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
We've had a covey of 3-8 quail, depending on the year... on our place for a few years now. Those little birds are sure neat to watch! I just wish there was enough of them to hunt them and not commit genocide on our covey...

Sounds like you're doing some great stuff at your place though!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
sounds great...can't wait to see some pics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.