Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fireman and I (Mailman) met at his private range south of Marshall on thursday at 10 AM for my first lesson on shooting a Muzzle Loader. After a few instructions by a good teacher this old dog learned some new tricks. And by the way....Underclocked was right about the scope being a little close. It tapped my glasses on the first shot. Just a wee bit of flinching after that. We both had fun shooting a few rounds and talking about all you guys (and gals) on MWT. I would like to officially thank Ourway7 for getting me started in the muzzle loading sport. Also would like to thank fireman for taking me to his range. It is really nice. Maybe he will take me back after I get this new sport mastered and let me shoot at those 600 yard targets that they have at his range. Here a few pics of the fun we had. The first pic is of me with my first shot ever. It was a little different than my .243

Attachments

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Looks like a good day of shooting!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Welcome to the world of black powder! Ain't it a blast??:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to my place later and took my time and burnt up a bunch of powder and flung a bunch of lead and had a ball. Not to good of a grouping but with a lot of practice I should get much better. Shot three shots at the 50 yard target and then 5 shots at the 100 yard target.

Attachments

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
good lookin range,good shootin and doesn't that powder smell good

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Mailman? What you using for powder? Pellets or loose? and how much?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mailman,
That's 2 really nice groups there, that's a good load for that gun. Just keep on shooting with that load. If you take out shot #4 from the 100 yard group, you're already better than most muzzleloaders out there! Geez, if you start out shooting like that, I'd really hate to see the groups you can throw with your .243. Thanks for sharing the pics, and I look forward to seeing that rifle in a pic with you and a trophy this fall!

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sand_manms I had bought a pound of Hodgdon triple se7en FFG and started out with 100 grains of loose powder behind a 300 grain hollow pt sabots (brand I'm not sure of) that came with the used rifle. I shot all of them and decided to shoot some of the T/C 250 grain Shock Wave Sabots bonded. I dropped the load of powder down to 90 grains. By that time it was getting pretty hot and the wind was gusting pretty bad. I did have one hesitation fire today. Sort of a half second delay after the cap was snapped and it seemed to sound different. That round went a foot to the left of the target at 100 yards. I may have had my patch a little to damp between loads.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Mailman, it was nice to meet ya!!! Anytime ya want to shoot again, let me know! But dangit, now I'm gonna have to buy a 17hmr, thanks to you!!! That is one sweet shootin gun. So is that Knight, good targets there!!! Hope those pics of me didn't break the camera.....EEEEEKKS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Finally

Knew it would shoot but still was waiting to hear how it did for Mailman, Glad all went well. Now remember clean it very good, as I am sure you will. There will be alot of in's and out's you will learn as time goes by. The greatest thrill will be waiting for the smoke to clear after shooting at that Monster Deer, and seeing that he is down. Good Luck Lou

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks ourway7 for the privilege of experiencing this new sport to me. Even tho you advised me of what this particular gun likes to shoot I'm still going to experiment with it. It is just in my nature. My goal is to find a round that will be an inch group or under at 100 yards (5 shots) that doesn't kick all that bad and will drop a 250 lb buck in its tracks. I may even buy me a slick barreled ML and try for turkeys too! And as for the cleaning the gun.....after seeing what it looks like after only 35 rounds through it a fella would have to clean it if he ever wanted to shoot it again. And this is the "clean burning" powder? I'd hate to see what happens with the old stuff. Knight sent me a video on the how to's and when the fella walks into the pond over his head completely submerged rifle included and comes up, pours out the water in the barrel and then shoots a target really sold me on the Knight brand. I may have to get me one of those Revelutions.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Anothher one hooked.........:wave:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I just started "smokin" last year to Mailman. Looks like you had some good help getting started. I went out one my own to a range the first time based on instructions from a friend and a guy at the Bass Pro. I think I should have called the Fireman!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.