Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to pick up a nice rimfire rifle for vermin, and just fun shooting.

Ran across a Browning T-Bolt with maple stock in 22WMR.

Can't wait to see how it shoots. Any recommendations on ammo? Thinking about trying the Hornady 30gr.

Topped it off with Talley Lightweight rings/bases and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40. Maybe a bit much scope, but I had it laying around..... So, on it went. :D Pretty nice look'n stick of lumber on this one too.
Trigger Air gun Office equipment Gun accessory Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun accessory

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Overall, in the three .22 Mags I've fooled with, the Hornady 30gr. VMax load has been the most accurate. Note that word "overall", I've heard some of the older rifles simply will not shoot it well (your rifle negates that all to pieces).

Second best in the two rifles I have now, is the CCI MaxiMag HPs, but all the 40gr. CCI loads shoot about the same, and pretty doggoned good in my rifles. Aguila Silver Eagle 40gr. JSPs are another good load. Federal 50gr. loads shoot well, but drop like a rock, and shoot 2" low and right in my rifles.
I haven't messed with the Federal 30gr. or 40gr. loads, they are ALL loaded by CCI, so what's the point? All of them are loaded by CCI, including RWS new stock, and Fiocchi's JSP loads.

Again, CCI loads all the ammo mentioned, EXCEPT Winchester's ammo. I've only shot 100 rounds (two boxes) of Winchester 40gr. ammo, it it shot very, very poorly, in all three rifles I've tried. CCI OWNS the .22Mag market, period. They loaded the Remington 33gr. load with the good reputation, too. (I can't find it locally, and refuse to pay what they want for it.) Winchester loads a 34gr. HP Supreme load that has a good reputation with people I respect, but it's harder to find than Sasquatch poop.
Plant Wood Tree Lumber Hardwood
Plant Wood Tree Lumber Hardwood
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Good looking rifle you've got yourself, Callaojoe. If it shoots as good as it looks, you should be dandy. Parallax might be an issue up close (it is with the CZ's Burris) be aware of your head position behind the scope. Hopefully, your little WMR will be making you smile by this weekend.:tup:

75,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep your eye centered down the tube.....

This rifle is a 1:16 twist barrel, not sure on the 40gr bullets. So, was looking at the 30gr, I have heard good things about the remmy 33gr cartridges though.

I flip flopped between this rifle and the cz 457...... But, just loved the maple stock on this gun, and went with it. I hear they are good shooters, we'll see though. Probably won't shoot it this weekend, but next weekend for sure...... Unless I can sneak out some how. :D

Reactions: glennasher1

75,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that didn't take long for this to go off track, not that I care, nice guns there. :D

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Reactions: callaojoe

75,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya, I have heard these new Tbolts are shooters. Looking forward to taking to the range. :tup:

75,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@glennasher1 I've never lost a mag to any other rifle I have ever owned, I will try to keep that streak alive. :banging:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.