Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new muzzleloader that I bought from member ourway7 that he had in the For Sale posts. It was the Knight MK-85 50 cal. with the Bushnell 3-9x40 with the lighted dot on the crosshairs. It is in almost new condition. One heck of a buy. Thanks again ourway7. I hope to do business with you in the future. He even sent it in a hard case with all the tools needed and even threw in 40 bullets. What a guy. I vote ourway7 Member Of The Day.:banana::banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never shot one before. I need so much stuff...I just know I'll buy some things that I'll never use and not buy the things that I really need. What are the basic things I need to buy. Here is a pic of what ourway7 sent with the rifle along with 40 300gr. sabot bullets. I need all the help I can get. I'm leary of trying it out by myself. Do any of the pictured tools have a name? I forgot to add the tool that looks like a ball with a 3 inch long rod sticking out from one side. I think it is used to poke the bullet into the barrel.

Attachments

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,352 Posts
Nice muzzle loader Mailman. I can't help you with the parts. I'm as clueless as you.

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buckbuster14 I think he still has the other one for $150. You don't really need a scope for these anyways. And Centerpunch....do I really need to buy the #11 caps?......I got thousands of 209's for my shotgun reloading. And is the 777 powder loose or is it in pellet form. And can I use the pellet form of powder? I appoligize if these are dumb questions.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Mailman, that tool that is not pictured is a BallStarter, or short starter...used to start the bullet. Other tools, clockwise from top left are...Cleanin jag, breechplug, with nipple in place, powder measure, and capper. The big black steel piece in the center is your combo tool...the upper end is for removing the nipple, and the "screwdriver" end is for removing the breechplug from the bore. Do yourself a favor, get some Knight breechplug grease for those threads, just a dab'll do ya. Also, a big ole bag of .50 cal cleanin patches, yo gonna need em!!! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Center Punch.... I'm sure ourway7 uses loose powder and doesn't like the #209's . I'd guess that loose 777 with #11 caps is what I'll go with at first until someone tells me anything different. I have a manual coming from Knight sometime this week hopefully.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
Center Punch.... I'm sure ourway7 uses loose powder and doesn't like the #209's . I'd guess that loose 777 with #11 caps is what I'll go with at first until someone tells me anything different. I have a manual coming from Knight sometime this week hopefully.
The loose powder will be just fine with the #11 caps...I have also used Bore Butter as a breechplug grease...several fellers on here don't like the stuff, but it's been good to me for the bore, all the threads, and wiping down the outside of the gun...never a problem with it here!!! Knight has good customer service, don't be afraid to email them too!!!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Also, yes, they do make a conversion kit, so you can shoot 209 caps...from your earlier pic, you are set up for #11's....I would personally try them first. I'm bettin ourway would have changed it over had the #11's not been good to him. Knights are good stuff...I know have 6 in the family!!!!

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK....Since I have a breech plug in the picture I noticed that there was one in the gun also. I used the long tool after taking out the bolt to remove the breech plug that was in the gun. In the picture attached from left to right is the bullet seating tool then the breech plug that came out of the rifle (the one with the red tip and the red grease) and the last one is the one that came loose in a plastic bag with the rest of the tools. Notice the tool marks on the last breech plug....will this hurt its function? The one with the red tip has a groove around the nipple. Maybe I have two of the same or maybe one is the conversion nipple for the 209 primer??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Get yourself some RWS or the new Remington #11 caps and use those. You might want to fashion some sort of protection for the underside of your scope as the flash can/will burn the finish off. Duct tape works. A good range rod and lots of patches, some good grease (if you can find Slick50 ONE grease, a tube will last and last) for those plug threads, a 12 gauge wire brush for cleaning the interior of the breech, possibly a patch puller as they can save some time if you lose a patch down the bore ( http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/select_item.asp?item=18211 ), old toothbrushes, rags, pipe cleaners, tooth picks.... all good stuff for cleaning and keeping that rifle looking great. Lot's of recipes for homebrewed cleaning solutions but many find Simple Green or Orange Clean to do a good job on the bores.

And move that scope forward before it pokes MY eye out! :rotfl:

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
Good buy Mailman, welcome the muzzleloading! I have a cheap CVA inline. I use pyrodex pellets in mine and 209 primers. I too agree with fireman on the bore butter. The main thing is to make sure you clean it until you can't clean it anymore. Give it a good lube after cleaning, I use bore butter, and Thompson Center makes grease that is great for the treads on the breech plug.

BTH

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.