Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend had an opportunity to hunt South Dakota for Pheasant and stay at a lodge. Had never done this before and i was amazed at the pheasant numbers and success and the lodge we stayed at, if you have never had the opportunity to do this and get a chance i would recommend it. Shout out to Dakota wild wings on the accomadations and management of these birds. The birds are all wild and with just a little bit of wind can really get up and move. We limited both days we hunted in a couple hours and the guides and retrievers were awesome, i don't know if a single bird was lost.
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Green Automotive tire
Light Grass Plant Wood Gas

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
That looks awesome, and is on my list of things to do.

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
Good to know. My Son and I had played with the idea of doing a father/son trip. My research showed many of these operations also supplemented their population with pen birds. I dont need to drive to SD to get pen birds.

I'll give these guys a look see.

$2400 for a 3 nite 2 day hunt...eeks thats a $5K hunt for the boy and I..Momma and his wife would have our danglers for that.

Glad you had a good time tho.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,748 Posts
$2400 for a 3 nite 2 day hunt...eeks thats a $5K hunt for the boy and I..Momma and his wife would have our danglers for that.
Forehead Chin Smile Eyebrow Jaw

·
Registered
936 Posts
Virtually anyone who owns land and hunts a lot in South Dakota supplements their population. You wont be able to tell the difference.

There are many places that have decent daily rates and you can provide your own lodging.

There is nothing I have found that compares to South Dakota Pheasant hunting.

Working large numbers of birds with good dogs is a ton of fun!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a group of 20+ and we did the 3 night 2 day hunt but did our own food and did not pay anywhere near that amount. We stayed at the back forty lodge. The group i got to go with have been going to this place close to 15 years and the organizer usually does about 4 groups a year so he gets a fair discount for bringing in so much business. It was very affordable the way that we did it. Not something i could justify every year at full price but you only live once and at the end on the last day we had a set where probably 15 to 20 roosters came up all shooters and dogs were at a stand still and the pheasants were surrounded. 1 to 3 at a time would come up and it was a flurry to get gun reloaded. It was one of those things that just don't usually happen but got to be part of that!! Over 6000 acres on this place and almost all of it had milo, millet, corn weeds and some wind breaks to draw birds in.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Headed to SD Sunday for the week, haven't hunted this late before so we'll see how that goes.
Unless you are going to a lodge (yes, they all release birds, otherwise the birds would be few and far between after opening w/e), you should find good hunting. Most of the crops should be harvested by now and the birds should be bunched up in the cattails, hedgerows and other cover. They do get smart and you will have to work for them. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Unless you are going to a lodge (yes, they all release birds, otherwise the birds would be few and far between after opening w/e), you should find good hunting. Most of the crops should be harvested by now and the birds should be bunched up in the cattails, hedgerows and other cover. They do get smart and you will have to work for them. Good luck! :)
This will be my 5 or 6th time, don't remember, and we ditch hunt 90% of the time and usually limit out. We have a German Shorthair Pointer we took last time and again this trip, it sure does cut down on the walking. We'd walk 10 miles a day without the dog and about 5 with.
We had gone within the first 3 weeks before and had hit it when crops were coming out and all still standing, definitely better when they're out.

·
Grand PooBah
1,708 Posts
I want to do this soon. I went on a good KS trip 25 years ago and have been itching to do the SD thing. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Haven't been since I had my Brittany put dow n.

Son in law is heading to South Dakota week.

·
Under appreciated
90,840 Posts
I want to do this soon. I went on a good KS trip 25 years ago and have been itching to do the SD thing. Maybe next year.
Unfortunately KS hasn’t been quite the same since.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looks awesome! congrats!
We used Schindlers in Reliance, SD. Trent and his wife Laurie are awesome. Stayed at the HoJo in Oacoma. Did it for a few years with my father in law, some of the most fun I’ve ever had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts