Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just completed installing my recoil reducer into the synthetic stock of my ruger M77 (hawkeye stock). what i did was place a small amount of expandable foam into the bottom of the top void in the rear of the stock (it has a divider running up the middle of the stock inside that creates two seperate voids with the top one being the largest) i then lowered the mercury recucer into that void onto the foam in the bottom. i have a 1/4" dia x 3" bolt screwed into the hole of the reducer and i used that to place it and align it how i wanted. the top of the bolt head is still about 1 1/2" from the end of the stock. next i placed expandable foam into the second void then i went back to the first (top) void and placed it around and over the reducer. the mercury reducer will be completely encapsulated inside the foam filled void. locking it into and making it an intregal piece of the stock. also by filling both voids i wont have that hollow plastic feel to it that i loath. i had wanted to use this on my shotgun but the recoil reducer was too long for that stock. once this is complete dry and set up (it says 8 hrs) i'm gonna cut 1/2" to 3/4" off the length of the stock and refit the pad (grind/sand down) flush.we'll see when i'm done if i can post the results without useing the words that get me sensored. i did coat the reducer with a releasing agent incase i ever want to dig it out and pull it out of there. should know by tonight if i screwed up or not. since the scope is back at the factory i figured now was a good time to do it.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Interesting....Let us know how this comes out!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my biggest fear was that stuff blows the side of th estock out, but with the end completely open it all should push out there and not stress the sides of the stock. i do know if you confine that stuff it can get ugly if there's no pressure relief incorporated.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
JH, I installed a mercury reducers in the stock of my 870 a few years back(wooden stock). The instructions said the gun would have to be fired 100 times before the suppressor would perform to its max capabilities. Since I only use this shotgun for turkey hunting I'm still not there. It did add about a pound to the total weight.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
What caliber of gun are you working with Jim? :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I think he is working on the 280 he just traded for parker.

And i have thought about putting a reducer in my 10 gauge. But its already so dang heavy i sure dont wanna add any weight.:eek:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep .280 Rem.
it's not that the caliber is a big boomer, it's just that you realy notice the differance between the synthetic stocks (read light) and a wood stock.
PV, i've never heard haveing to shoot "X" amount of times with a true mercury reducer. i have read where something like that applied to a spring activated type.
and yes the 7/8"x5" reducer is 16 oz. so after the foam too i will have added a touch over 1lb to the rifle. might be a tad too much but it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I believe mine is a Greco and it does have mercury in it. BTW, I don't think it does a lick of good for zeroing or shootin' at a turkey. Shootin' at a squirrel in a tree maybe a little.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PV all this does is absorb actual felt recoil.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it is all complete and stock has been cut back. i will need to get a new recoil pad for it later as this one needs to be trimmed back. the factory pads are a soft rubber finish that don't take to sanding well at all. waiting to cut the stock back after the foam was installed is the way to go. i wrapped the outside with masking tape and used a fine tooth veneer blade on my chop saw, the result was a chip free clean cut. looking back now the 3" reducer at 8 oz would have been enough, but this longer one is what i had. the reducer is placed way down closer to the pistol grip area so the weight and balance is still good.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Recoil is what I am talkin' about. Hope you have better luck than I.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is the foam expanding up, out, and every where. i placed a bag around the stock with the end cut out so i wouldn't get any of that nasty stuff on the stock.

here is the cut i made to reduce my length of pull. i now have a 13" LOP from the std 13 1/2" LOP from the factory.

here's what the reducer looked like, it is 7/8" in dia and 5" long

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,795 Posts
Looks good so far Jim!:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts