permits and regs question

Discussion in '(MDC) All other hunting related questions......' started by t.j., Oct 27, 2010.

1. t.j.

t.j. New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    sw mo
    ....I have a few questions;

1. Saw a badger last night, and that got me to thinking: is it legal to shoot a badger while bow hunting, given it is during furbearers season? I thought they are protected in missouri (like a bear or cougar), but they are included in CSR 10-7.450 in the Wildlife Code guidelines.

2. What permits are required to shoot a bobcat with a bow, given it is during furbearers season? I know a person would need a "Small Game Hunting Permit", and then contact a conservation agent to register and tag the animal. But is a "Fur Handler's Permit" also required?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

2. MDC Deer

MDC Deer New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    The following should cover everything you're asking about under a small game hunting permit

3 CSR 10-7.450 Furbearers: Hunting Seasons, Methods (1) Badgers, bobcat, gray fox, opossum, raccoon, red fox, and striped skunk may be taken in any number by hunting from November 15 through January 31. Pelts of furbearers may be possessed, transported, consigned for processing and sold only by the taker from November 15 through February 15 (except as provided in 3 CSR 10-10.711), except that bobcats or their pelts shall be delivered by the taker to an agent of the department for registration or tagging before selling, transferring, tanning or mounting, but not later than February 15. Furbearers may be purchased and sold only under provisions of this rule. Chapter 10, and 3 CSR 10-4.135. No person shall accept payment for furbearers taken by another.

(2) Tagged bobcats or their pelts may be possessed by the taker throughout the year, and may be sold only to a licensed taxidermist, tanner or fur dealer as provided in Chapter 10....