Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JEFFERSON CITY (MO) – At its December 19 meeting in Jefferson City, theMissouri Conservation Commission discussed changes to the structure and pricing of hunting, fishing and trapping permits as proposed by the Commission in September.

Public input, according to the Commission, has again proven to be an essential component of regulation development. Following the recent public comment period on proposed permit changes, several recommendations included in the original package have been sidelined or modified.
"We have a rich history of being a citizen-led and citizen-driven Conservation Department," said Commission Chairman Chip McGeehan. "Citizen involvement and trust are essential parts of conservation success in our state, and we thank the many Missourians who have shared their opinions on the proposed permit changes. We will continue to seek points of view from all of our stakeholders, listen, and respond in ways that best protect Missouri’s resources and serve all Missourians."

The proposed 80-acre resident landowner requirement was stopped. After taking into consideration the severe economic downturn affecting Missouri's citizens, and in response to public comments, the Commission decided to end advancement of the proposed recommendations to, (1) increase the resident landowner acreage requirement for no-cost deer and turkey permits from 5 to 80 acres, and (2) eliminate lessee privileges.

Conservation Department Director John Hoskins explained, "A growing number of Missourians are small-acreage landowners and many embrace wildlife management as a primary purpose for some if not all of their land. We support them, and all landowners, and recognize the many habitat benefits that result from landowner efforts. Private landowners have always been, and continue to be, a critical component of Missouri's successful wildlife management program. We will continue to seek input from all landowners regarding any additional changes that may affect them and will proactively seek landowner input prior to any future proposals regarding landowner permits."

In addition, the Commission stopped proposed resident permit price increases.

"Our economy is in much worse shape than it was when we first proposed the price increases," explained Hoskins. "We are sensitive to the plight of our fellow Missourians during this unprecedented recession. The higher cost of living, increasing unemployment and general economic uncertainty are affecting us all. We hope that by eliminating these price increases, we can help Missouri hunters, trappers and anglers weather these difficult economic times."

The Commission also voiced support for ending advancement of the recommendation to establish a new senior "forever" permit. With this action, people over 65 years will continue to be able to hunt small game and fish for free in Missouri, with no permit required. As originally crafted, the "forever" permit seemed to confuse many citizens. The Department received considerable public comment on this particular issue.

The Commission continued to support the proposed recommendations regarding gathering basic essential landowner information consistent with past practices, but approved the delay of implementation from Fall 2009 to Spring 2010.

Through the Department’s existing point-of-sale permit system, landowners receiving no-cost deer and turkey permits provide their name, address, county and acreage of their land. The change envisioned would be consistent with a past requirement that simply adds collection of the legal description of their land, i.e.: township, section and range. Hoskins explained that the information will help to verify ownership. "It will be landowner friendly and simple," he added.

Following public comments, the Commission expressed continued support for the recommendation to establish consistent Hunter Education and age requirements for all mentors. This recommendation simply establishes consistent requirements for all Missouri citizens.

In addition, the Commission continued to support the establishment of a standard minimum legal age of six years for obtaining deer and turkey permits, including for no-cost landowner permits.

The Commission remains focused on the priority of growing hunter and angler numbers in Missouri. As a result, the Commission voiced support to continue forward with the recommendation to simplify youth permits and slash the cost of deer, turkey and trout permits purchased for youth by 50%.

-END-

·
Registered
869 Posts
That's good news about the landowner permits and missouri resident prices. Did I miss it or did this article leave out references to the proposed non-resident price increases?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think this is a different ball game, this just consernded the land onwer and lesees

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good news and refreshing to know that there are still some level headed good old folks near the top of the MDC. Kudos for sure. :cheers:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Originally posted by Country
I think this is a different ball game, this just consernded the land onwer and lesees
"In addition, the Commission stopped proposed resident permit price increases."

I don't think that is referring to the landowner tags. I'm just wondering if they'll advance with the non-resident tags.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Source: http://www.mdc.mo.gov/regs/permitfaq.htm

------------

Conservation Commission Permit Restructuring Approved Changes

Eliminated the existing youth deer and turkey hunting permit and the youth antlerless permit, while established a 50-percent discounted price for resident and nonresident youth on deer, turkey and trout permits

Approved allowing resident youth under the age of 16 to trap without a permit

Set a minimum age of 6 for obtaining deer and turkey permits

Approved allowing nonresident youth to hunt during the 2-day youth spring turkey season beginning in 2010

Approved allowing nonresident college and technical school students to purchase resident permits

Made the hunter-education and age requirements for mentors consistent

Established a new light goose conservation order permit for the 2010 light goose conservation order (residents $5, nonresidents $40)

Eliminated nonresident landowner reduced-price deer and turkey hunting permits.

Non-resident hunter and angler permit changes effective July 1, 2009:

* Nonresident Fishing, from $40 to $42
* Nonresident Furbearer Hunting/Trapping, from $120 to $130
* Nonresident Small Game Hunting, from $75 to $80
* Nonresident Spring Turkey, from $175 to $190
* Nonresident Fall Turkey, from $105 to $110
* Nonresident Firearms Any-Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225
* Nonresident Firearms Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25
* Nonresident Archer’s Hunting, from $150 to $225
* Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225
* Nonresident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25

Delay until Spring 2010 the establishment of a simple, landowner-friendly way to verify landownership for those receiving free landowner permits.

·
Deer Gear Collecter
3,763 Posts
I'm glad to see the MDC listened to the many people who spoke up. To those that did good job. To those that didn't, Thank those that did.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Originally posted by txcobowhunter
I'm glad to see the MDC listened to the many people who spoke up. To those that did good job. To those that didn't, Thank those that did.
I did speak up & I'm not thanking those that whined about the price increases or resending the free tags to guys with just 5 acres.

All of those of you that get free landowner tags & just hunt your 5 acres the entire season, raise your hand. :bs:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
what if we thought the increase was a good idea?:thinking:

·
Deer Gear Collecter
3,763 Posts
Just for the record, I don't receive free tags. I feel the if a person has the acerage and does the work for the deer to live there, they ought to be able to hunt it no cost.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Just for the record, I don't receive free tags. I feel the if a person has the acerage and does the work for the deer to live there, they ought to be able to hunt it no cost.
You keep tellin yourself that when the butterfly catchers wake up & realize since they're paying most of the tab in the MDC's annual budget, their voice should carry more weight than the hunters who are to cheap to pony up a few extra dollars to protect life as we know it. That days comin, mark my words.

·
97 Posts
MDC budget is less than 1% of the states total budget. Permit sale are 30% of MDC over all budget. Sales tax is about 68% of the toatal budget.

Arkansas has a sales tax and Landowners do not get free deer permits at all. Kansas you must have 80 acres to get 1 permit at 1/2 price. Iowa you must prove by application that you have two acres for AG puposes. Then you get one buck tag and four does tags. Three tags cost two dallors a piece and two tags at 12 dollars a piece. Illinois you need to have 40 acres and can apply online and then every person in your house hold gets a free permit.

I stated this before on another thread. A missouri deer permit cost $1 in 1938 and now it cost $17 in 2008. A Ford truck cost about $700 in 1938 and about $30,000 in 2008. How many complained and made calls when your billions of tax dollars go to them for thier bail out.

You get a deal to hunt in Missouri.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
You keep tellin yourself that when the butterfly catchers wake up & realize since they're paying most of the tab in the MDC's annual budget, their voice should carry more weight than the hunters who are to cheap to pony up a few extra dollars to protect life as we know it. That days comin, mark my words.
:thinking:I am with You Randy anything worth having, one has to work hard for! And nothing is free someone has to pay the price for it:eek:Pay as ya go or pay for it in the end:whiteflag:it is what it is! To think someone should ride for free is crap:toilet:No matter the out come I will keep working and paying to Play! :2thumbsup:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Originally posted by CLIFFHANGER
Originally posted by pinwheel
:thinking:I am with You Randy anything worth having, one has to work hard for! And nothing is free someone has to pay the price for it:eek:Pay as ya go or pay for it in the end:whiteflag:it is what it is! To think someone should ride for free is crap:toilet:No matter the out come I will keep working and paying to Play! :2thumbsup:
You & me both brother. Haven't even met ya yet, but when I do, I'm sure we're gonna get along just fine.:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Still not high enough... they should raise them to $300 plus require them to buy a habitat stamp or something too. I"m tired of MDC taking it easy on NRs when neighboring states make us pay dearly for their NR tags.

Non-resident hunter and angler permit changes effective July 1, 2009:

* Nonresident Fishing, from $40 to $42
* Nonresident Furbearer Hunting/Trapping, from $120 to $130
* Nonresident Small Game Hunting, from $75 to $80
* Nonresident Spring Turkey, from $175 to $190
* Nonresident Fall Turkey, from $105 to $110
* Nonresident Firearms Any-Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225
* Nonresident Firearms Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25
* Nonresident Archer’s Hunting, from $150 to $225
* Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225
* Nonresident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25

Delay until Spring 2010 the establishment of a simple, landowner-friendly way to verify landownership for those receiving free landowner permits.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts