Pellet rifle for dispatch

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by Keef, Apr 12, 2018.

1. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

I don't think the CB shells are powderless but they are greatly reduced. They are still powerfull enough to kill something.
    [​IMG]

These are powderless, primer only and would not penetrate the skull of a possum I had trapped in my back yard. When I shot them at 25 yards, you could see the bullet in flight. Pretty worthless.

Use the CB shorts!

jehrbo likes this.
  2. Bramble

Bramble Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Check craigslist for Benjamin .22. Usually under $110 used but good shape 1 pump or 10 you pick the power and noise level.

3. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I have a .177 size gamo and I tried it on a live trapped coon. Several shots later I decided I would not go that route again. I'm using my Browning BLR .22 with short hollow points, works much better. :elmer:

4. 260rem

260rem Active Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Kc area
    Have you thought about the Crosman 1322 air pistol? Around $55 on Amazon and pyramid air.

5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Thanks 260rem, I think I'm going to go with the quiet LR 22 bullets.

wingman likes this.
  6. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

My neighbor and I did a test on just about every short, or reduced powder .22 out there.
    CCI CB shorts seemed to do the trick as quietly as anything that would penetrate a skull.
    They are actually quieter than my Diane (RWS) in .22.

7. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    UrbanHunter I take it you tried the shorts on animals, such as coons.

8. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I learned to use CB's from Ed Mead in MI when training coonhound pups. They are quiet enough that a 3 month old pup will never get gun shy.... about like a piece of popcorn popping or snapping your fingers. They also drop coons out of trees dead as a hammer if brain shot.