Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some how we got in at Pelican Island! Any info. appreciated ... :confused: I heard it is a great hunt and the timing should be perfect... :banana:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Congrats............:cheers:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hatch, is that for the muzzleloader hunt? I have a brother in law and nephew entered there. I haven't talked to them lately to see if they were drawn.
Congrats to you and good luck. Sorry, I have never been there, so I can't help much. I did hear that the brush was very thick, hard to walk through there.:cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
cool

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Congrats Hatch!!!!

We put in for the same hunt and I'm still impatiently waiting for the word....

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by highgear40
Hatch, is that for the muzzleloader hunt? I have a brother in law and nephew entered there. I haven't talked to them lately to see if they were drawn.
Congrats to you and good luck. Sorry, I have never been there, so I can't help much. I did hear that the brush was very thick, hard to walk through there.:cheers:
Yes it is for the muzzleloader hunt, I checked online last night and received my letter today. Good Luck to everyone...

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
hatch me and mu got drawn for that hunt two years ago and when i kept good drictions and maps and stuff i aint got time tonight but either tomoorw or monday i will dig out the stuff we kept.

i tell you your in for a hunt that island is a bugger lots and lots of does and we had a few chances at 110-120 class bucks but we passed guess we weren't following the managment princeples very well but you kill one there you got your work cut out for you for sure.

i will get you more in fo in a day or two

·
Registered
598 Posts
I saw my brother in law and nephew yesterday, unfornately they weren't drawn. I looked at mdc website, those were some tough odds on that hunt. Like some others said on here about Swan Lake, you guys that got drawn for Pelican need to go buy a lottery ticket.:rotfl::rotfl:
Good luck to you:cheers:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
hatch me and mu got drawn for that hunt two years ago and when i kept good drictions and maps and stuff i aint got time tonight but either tomoorw or monday i will dig out the stuff we kept.

i tell you your in for a hunt that island is a bugger lots and lots of does and we had a few chances at 110-120 class bucks but we passed guess we weren't following the managment princeples very well but you kill one there you got your work cut out for you for sure.
I would appreciate it! My cousin got in last year and said it was amazing everone killed at least one and all had shot opportuniteis at decent bucks & some just didn't connect on good ones. The odds were definately not in our favor but its now up to us to do our homework and whack a big one.. They are in there. The timing of the hunt is pretty good also...
i will get you more in fo in a day or two

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
ok i will start will the meat of info the what you NEED to know stuff then get to the what you WANT to know stuff.

if you think about the island as a big letter D laid on its back with the flat side south which is how it looks on a map the flat part is what seperates it from the city. the curved part is the missouri river. when water is high it runs some down the flat part on the south but the river was way over the rock breaks when we were there to start the hunt and we walked up and down alot of the south side of the island.

NOW you do know YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BOAT. NOT really any choice to be honest. when we were there MDC was in the process of building a ramp on the far south east corner of the main land to get to the island......don't know if it ever got finished or not but even if it did i wouldn't use it. there is a farmer that has a privite ramp perfectly in the center of the island on the north side of the river. when we were there he charged us 5 bucks before season to just launch and get in the river we went early and checked out the island. durning the hunt he charges a one time 40 bucks to launch you can also camp at the launch on high ground well worth the 40 bucks we launched and left the boat in the water the whole time several others did too and you sure don't want to wait in line to launch the frist morning of the hunt the line was fairly long.

now get a map of the chanel of the river you will be navaging in the dark.. I would recomend a couple of good spot lights. when we were there there had been alot of rain we had logs and i mean LOGS that we meet going up river not really a cool thing. some guys had little bitty boats with like 10 horse motors I personally think they had lost there mind it was all they would do to move against the current. the river don't look it but it is swift.

crap babys crying i will get back and contine with this after while
i have drictions to the farmer ramp (farmer GENE) and will get alot more info for you just bear with me

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
ok the baby is in bed (mommas gone for a few days and no its not my fault i haven't done nothing wrong :rotfl:)

any way you need a deer cart and i sure hope you got drawn with a buddy or somthihg killing a deer isn't a problem don't know what you personally want in a buck if thats what your going for but there was nothing i personally saw that was worth the trouble of getting it out after we scouted we both said if it wasn't 130 or better we wernt screwing with it I know thats bad but getting a deer out of there could be as much work as an elk out of the mountinas of CO

its a freaking jungle in places we saw some guys just working there butts off

but to kill a deer honestly if you can't get one its becuase you either one cant hit crap, two can't sit still long enough and chose to be one of the dogs, or just chose not to .

if you caught what number two was that is a key most people can't sit still walk arond loud got to go get lunch or what ever. find a good spot and sit the deer keep moving with all the people stoming around we found a couple good spots and let every one else be our dogs the frist day. buy the second alot of people gave up and there weren't near as many that came back.

a set of waders wouldn't be a bad idea either as well as alot of rope like i meantioned the river was high when we got there for the hunt and like idiots knoiw it was going down we still had to drive up on what was a sand bar to get to the shore in about 2 or 3 foot of water the frist day...........well needless to say when we got back to the boat after dark the river had went down and our boat was along ways from being in enough water to float ........we had a plently big engough boat and it wasn't a good time so the next day we left it out a ways and tied it up with along rope ....there were places we could have tied and climbed a steep bank and wouldn't ahve had that provlem but not to get were we wanted to be.

any way my suggestion is go clear to the north west corner of the island were the river meets with the place that the water runs or can run arond the back and park the boat walk about 1/3 way down that and then in to the isladn a ways theres some good size timber before you get to the thick stuff and the deer or alot of them leave the island the frist day you can sit up there and see alot of them. i will get on googgle earth tomorrow and get a pic and mark some spots and post for you. we left way before day light and got there way early were we wanted to be so that once ev ery one else started coming on the island we would be there.

we didn't have any problems leaving things in the boat durning the hunt or even at night parked at farmer genes thats not to say it couldn't happen but we felt it was ok.

if you have any questions i am not answering just let me know as i think of things i will post them for you

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i will take my good map to work to morrow and scan in a page to show you drictions to farmer genes or else mark it out on goggle earth for you i would highly recomend using his ramp its in a great spot and you can leave your baot there even if you chose to go back home and say since you like pretty close we left our boat there over night and stayed else were trust me you want to put it in the night before if at all possible no matter were you use the wait in the moring would suck big time and if i were you being close i would sure take the boat and go up early and spend a day or at least half a day walking around the island i think that helped us more than any thing to get to kinda know the island. the closer you get to the south and east the thicker it gets there are a few old what appears to be over gown small feilds on the north and kinda west side there were several deer killed there.

take flagging tape with you to mark places or if you kill one and have to go get your help.......i would recomend finding a pink or yellow color somthing other than orange or red theres so much of that being used you will be more confused than a mouse in a chesse facorty as far as i know there weren't any problems with any one getting a deer swiped but i guess it could alwasy happen we walked up on the nicest buck we know of that was killed and the guy had left it ....it wasn't much further and we found the guy he was so lost he didn't know were on the island he was so we pointed him in the right driction................don't know how you can get lost its a freaking island but several did on thing to note if you go up the river there is a huge power plant on the north of the river "on Main land" you can see it from just about any were you walk to the river from the island you can see the cooling towers and figure out where you are

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks alot!! we will be out scouting and I believe my cousin put their boat in at Genes, that sounds like the best way to go. I have taken several good bucks & sitting is not an issue and as far as walking I'll let everyone else do it for me got plenty of help, good boat & sometimes even hit what I'm aiming at. If you can get that map to me that would be great, & if theres anything I can do to help you out sometime just holler.....

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i will get you a map to farmer genes ramp tomoorw and mark a few spots on the a island map.......farmer genes not always around but his house is right there you can put an envelop with you plate number on it in his mail box its pretty much the honor system and to be honest you dont want to meet him the day of the hunt hes got more stories than your ears can take old boy can talk for hours and cusses like a mad salior but hes fun. i am sure MUhunter is just seting around and he will post up any thing i might forget

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i am going to post a few maps and try to explain them and i will also send them to your emial that you have registured to this site if you have any questions let me know

the first on is a far out how to get there coming in to stl from the west or o'fallon area
i am assuming you kinda know generally were your going to they are going to be fairly plain drictions

take 370 around to 94 and take it north after you get a ways up it we turned off 94 to the right on to hwy H it is kinda a short cut but you can stay on 94 if you chose
if you take hwy H follow it all the way back to 94 and turn right you will go a ways and dwiggins road is on the right its just a chat road. it goes and curves untill you get to SAALE Road which will be another right turn there is a 90degree corner right before you get to the river and one the right is farmer genes house on the second mape it is the big blue X

[file]8251[/file]

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
here is a closer map that shows from 94 the gravel roads and were farmer genes house is

[file]8252[/file]

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
ok on the next map the yellow x is farmer gene ramp (buy the way is it concret and a very nice ramp when we were there it had washed some and it drops off fast but he was hauling in rock and keeps it up really well)
the light green line is the way we went to the north west corner of the island to park the boat you need to say on the outter edge of the river bend just inside the rock jetteys that stick out from the bank this was tricky for us as the river was up just about a foot over them saw a cople guys get there motors in them not cool but you shouldn't have that problem.
if you go the the north west corner like we did which is what i would recomend go past it and kinda angle down in to it you can see in the pic the sand bars that are there and it gets really shallow once you get over towards it. (they were all under water while we were there) now despite how it looks the tail water or channel or what ever that runs on the south side is blocked by rocks and poles you can;t take a boat down it and it would be my guess its mostly dry except pools this year.

sorry about the quality of this pic google earth put pics togeter here so ingore the differnt shades of green.

oh the blue scribble at the south east corner is were MDC was in the process of building the boat ramp it should be finished by now but i honestly don't know if it is i am sure lots of guys will put in there so keep that in mind when hunting also seveal of the guys that put in a farmer genes while we were there seems to go stright accross the river or up just a little so i think gettng on the south or back side as i call it is a good idea especally since if deer leave the island thats how they will exit. I would say half the deer left and half just ran around in circles on the island.

i would venture to guess all total we saw some were around 100 deer while we were there some running some could have been shot easy.

[file]8253[/file]

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
ok the red x is farmers genes ramp for reference the green x is were we parked the boat

the blue circles (which is weird that google joined the pics there) is over grown semi open feilds most had weeds waste high or so with sage grass in them and small patches of brush lots of stick tites as well.

the purple dotted line is were we think from sighting and tracks is the area alot of deer left the island.

the yellow dotted line is kinda a ditch its about 50 yards in from the edge of the island and runs about 200 yards long or so its any were from 30 to 50 yards wide and is or was full of just tall grass its more like a water way in a crop feild not really deep but you diffantly know it when you see it.

the frist day we hunted one of us at the end of that ditch on the right hand side on the pic and then in a little fruther towards the two close together blue circles the over grown feilds. alot of that whole dark line on the pic is kinda a low sorta wide ditch i guess you could say but you can't really tell while walking on the island at most times

i think either sit on the purple line or move towads those center blue circles and you will do good
for some reason even though we think lots of deer left the island near that purple dotted line i would still go towrds the blue circles in the center i thought then and still do thats a good area.

below the yellow line that ditch is some fairly good what i would call semi open timber you can see a little ways most other areas are fairly thick like probley 30-40 yard shot would be what you could expect lots of down falls and crap. there are some areas that are really thick and 30 yards would be hard to make a shot but no most i would say.

[file]8254[/file]

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
any questions? that is about all i can think of at the moment

i will email you those pics they may show up better if you have goggle earth you can really zoom in on some of the areas good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.