Patch Box

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Trad-hunter, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    Just wondering if any of you traditional guys ever carry anything in your patch box? I never have.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I have a few pillow ticking patches in there, but never use those...:shrug:

I reck'n i just put em there, cause I could.....:rof2:

3. Trad-hunter

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    They sure look good! I thought about throwing a few patches in mine but I thought they might draw moisture.

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

If you take the bolster screw out to pour a pinch of powder down that hole, it would be a great idea to have a spare screw in that box :D

5. Trad-hunter

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    Sounds like the voice of experience.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Pretty much like c'joe. I have put patches in them but never really used it for such. I always carry patching pre-lubed in a strip 3-4 inches wide and about a foot long. Don't see how a grease lubed patch could draw moisture but I guess they can dry out. Some of those patch boxes are works of art....

7. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I used to keep a cleanin jag in there too.... But, don't anymore.:thinking:

8. Trad-hunter

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    [rquote=1891622&tid=131736&author=sharps4590]Pretty much like c'joe. I have put patches in them but never really used it for such. I always carry patching pre-lubed in a strip 3-4 inches wide and about a foot long. Don't see how a grease lubed patch could draw moisture but I guess they can dry out. Some of those patch boxes are works of art....[/rquote] I was thinking of dry patches. I too carry rolled up strips of prelubed pillow ticking for my patch and ball combo.

9. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1891332&tid=131736&author=Trad-hunter]Sounds like the voice of experience.[/rquote]

Yeah, aparently I started the screw back in and forgot to use the screwdriver. So I shot a deer and the screw blew out the side :eek:
    Thankfully, there was no major damage to the threads.

Good thing no one was standing next to me :whistle:

10. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Nothing for me.