Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though it was windy and raining this morning, I was able to use my slate call with a zip lock bag over it, and the magic happened! MAN! I LOVE this turkey hunting! (I finished making this slate call yesterday!)

Two gobblers flew down on the other side of about a 80 acre field. They were just black dots when they came down.

I started talking sweet to them (pretty loud since it was windy) and they came right in to my single hen setup. In a STRAIGHT line.

It was awesome. I kept cackling with my XT Custom Calls mouth call then trying to get them to break strut so I could shoot one, but they just kept gobbling! At 17 yards! Finally, they broke apart and went into a half-strut, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I took the one with the thicker beard. 22 pounds, 10 inch beard, one inch spurs.

Oh, I shot at 6:28. Tough tough tough to stay in the woods that long!

I'll post a picture later. I've been taking them with my good 35mm, and I'm going to wait until after the hunt tomorrow with cfraz so I can hopefully get some good pics there too. Then I'll have pics of this bird, and Clansey and I's KS trip.

Hunt on folks! :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Sounds like a great hunt!
Congrats on your gobbler!
:cheers::cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hit him in the head with the wad too. Anyone else ever done that? I found it just infront of him. Hevi-shot #6.

When I was patterning my gun with a posterboard, I made a dot the size of a ping pong ball, and I centered that dot with the wad at 20 yards. I love being able to sight in that red dot and just let 'er rip!

Parker

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I think we may need to see a pic of this gun Parker!!! :pop::pop::pop:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lefty,

Here's a closeup of that gun. Its an 870 with a Tasco Pro Point 3 red dot scope with double pistol grips and a butt stock. It is a KILLER once you get it sighted in. I've got a fully rifled slug barrel for this gun too, that I hope to get to use in Iowa some day.

This is a gobbler I took off of the same property in '04. :cheers:

This morning, I got up and danced like in my avatar! MAN! That was a great hunt! I'm still going nuts! :banana:

Parker

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
:dancin:Congratulations PARKER:dancin:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
:cheers::cheers:

congrats, you know i think those calls just might work.:D

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
congrats!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.