Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get to shoot one, (long story as to why not, see this thread for more info. on that issue, http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=26039 ) but I held a few Parker bows today. I really like the way they "fit" my hand in relation to the weight of the rest of the bow. Most of the other bows felt "klunky" "big", and "awkward" to me. So, I am going to concentrate my search for my first bow in the Parker line of bows. I would like to know what you folks think, good and bad.

·
5,632 Posts
I shoot a Parker Hunter-Mag. It's a few years old so I cannot comment on how the newer ones shoot. What I CAN tell you is this:

1) Lots of hand shock compared to high end bows

2) You have to work at it but you can get decent speed out of them. I'm shooting 390 grain arrows about 270 fps at 70 lb draw. But if you took some care to buy lighter shafts you could shoot 290 or better.

3) I have the walnut grip and it is TOO BIG. I've contemplated taking it off and just wrapping the riser in tennis racket grip tape but I don't want to screw up my form worse than it already is. I don't like the feel of the rubber grips, but that's just me.

4) Watch for the cable guard. Parker has had a hard time keeping the cable guards seated in the hole. You might have to put the bow on a press, take the cable guard out and then file a flat spot on the end of the guard that goes in the hole and align it with the hex set screw.

5) The wall is fairly mushy so you get a lot of creep when trying to shoot back tension.

The bow is a good shooter. It does not compare with the high end bows but it draws smooth, is fairly quiet (with the help of limb savers, string whiskers and some kind of device on or in your stabilizer), and stays tuned.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
While working at a local bow shop, I took a Parker Challenger (Kids Bow) with a 50 lb draw, twisted it up to 64 lbs, and loved it. I won several bow shoots with it. It only weighed 2.5 lbs (Bare), and was really fun to shoot. BUT, I love my Hoyt Vtec, so I'll stick to that. Parker has come a long way, and are some really good bows.

·
5,632 Posts
Parker also has awesome customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.