Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many guys paper tune their bows?

I personall don't and I think it's an absolute waste of time. I'm sure you're wondering why. Well...for that answer...go paper tune your bow...then take a few step back and shoot the same setup. That's why.
My personal opinion is that paper tuning will certainly show you what your arrow is doing and get it right at that distance...does absolutely nothing for correcting at greater distance.

What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
I use paper tuning just as a "starting point" on getting a bow set and getting the arrow off the string in a correct manner. Alot depends on the actual rest that is on the bow. After getting a good starting point, walk back tuning is the best way to go. Only problem with this is, it takes patients and time to get it right. I do agree that paper tuning is well "over rated" and can really drive you nuts if you allow it to.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Nope, never have, and I don't ever plan on doing so. I think the proper equipment setup will take care of this, but I'm by no means a pro. I've owned two bows and they've both shot great for me.

Parker

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by MoBowman
walk back tuning is the best way to go.
DING DING DING!!! I'm with you on that one!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,782 Posts
I'm with you Hoyt. Back in the mid 90's, Jenny & I had the oppritunity to spend a lot of time shooting with a lot of pro shooters. At supper, I would pick their brains on tuning & shooting. Not once, did anyone ever mention using a piece of paper to tune a bow. Everyone I asked that question had the same opinion, waste of time.

I shoot one cam & always have, but here's how I tune. #1 I spent the money on Archers advantage software & everytime I put a bow together, I run all the info through it to make sure my arrows are properly spined with good front of center. Next, I set nock point 1/8" high & centershot. Now it's time to start shooting groups. I group tune at 30 yds. If groups are open, but mostly stringing left to right, I move the rest slightly left then right till it tightens up. If it's stringing up & down, I move the rest slightly up, then down till it tightens up. Next, I move to 40 yds & group tune. At this distance, I add & subtract weight on the limbs, no more than 1 1/2 turns, just to fine tune the spine that I already determined with the computer. This all hinges on me being honest with myself when the shot goes off. If the pin was not where it was supposed to be, I discount that arrow. All arrows are numbered & shot in order for this reason.

·
Under appreciated
92,960 Posts
Yea.. I'm not convinced either but hey.. if it makes you feel better to shoot through and have a clean tear, go for it.
It can be a good indication that all is well but too many folks with bigger problems like
bows being badly out of time or extreme arrow rest or nocking position problems try to use paper tuning to fix it and they are flat wasting their time.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Just wondering how many guys paper tune their bows?

I personall don't and I think it's an absolute waste of time. I'm sure you're wondering why. Well...for that answer...go paper tune your bow...then take a few step back and shoot the same setup. That's why.
My personal opinion is that paper tuning will certainly show you what your arrow is doing and get it right at that distance...does absolutely nothing for correcting at greater distance.

What does everyone else think?
i couldnt agree more, i have screwed up more than i was supposed to fix. i dont any more.

·
Under appreciated
92,960 Posts
Sounds like he needs a bow square for Christmas or sumtin!
He aint gonna benefit from paper tuning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.