Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Oh man, asking a guy about his secret ingredient.......Good luck with it, we've been trying for years. Rumor is though, that if his "secret substance" changes from its original chemical compound we can actually drink it.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
:D Well if paleo uses it HAS to work. And if he told you to use it then I would.

·
Registered
561 Posts
well I let the cat out of the bag at the pheasant hunt.........

My Secret ingredient is...................
GRAPE KOOLAID

It all started when I use to mix my licks up from water softener pellets.... these busted bags could be bought for nothing sometimes they just gave them to me.While mixing one day we were all thirst so I ran in the house for some refreshments.. Well, I have been drinking Koolaid ever since I could hold a baba.I brought out drinks for everyone and told them I had a secret ingredient..... I dumped the Grape Koolaid in, and it has been a tradition every since...... My licks are over 5 years old.... I have tried all different ingredients over the years...... The recipe that "Henry uses would be the best mix its easy to get all the ingredients............ I add grape koolaid...................
Does it work?? well maybe!! You can see the size of my licks in the photo gallery, and I have been blessed with big mature bucks within 300yds of my spot........ I will be using Grape Koolaid in mine forever..... 2 packs to a 5 gallon bucket unsweetened :sniper:

Secret ingredient #2

. let them grow

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Originally posted by paleohunter
that is the top secret ingredient............... it is also the hardest one for most hunters to provide.......... "Time" to grow
Agreed....Let 'em grow!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks for the tip. I'm going to add it to my mix and see what we see. I agree about letting them grow; the only youngs bucks that have been killed off the ground we hunt have been for my son. This past season was his second year hunting and he's been succesful both years. 1st year he got a nice little 6 point, this past season he killed a pretty little 7 pointer (would've been an 8 but it had a broken tine). I want to keep him interested and gradually move him towards the does or larger bucks when he's old enough for his hunters safety card and can hunt the regular season. Two days for the young'uns just isn't enough as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mineral Lick Formula

Hello All,
Haven't posted in some time, but still catch up on the forum about every week. Saved the recipe below from the "Chasingame" site. Haven't tried it out, but it sounds interesting enough to give it a go this year.
Metalguy

Allen Brother's - "Mineral Magic"
Mineral Lick Instructions

1 part - TM Mixing Salts (50lb bag about $7 - made by Morton) - this is a cattle feed supplement

1 part - Feed Grade Pulverized Limestone (50lb bag about $4 - also cattle feed supplement) or Dicalcium Phosphate (50lb bag)

These ingredients should be at your local feed store. I usually start a site w/200 lbs in a raked shallow depression or an old stump hole near a natural water source/food source or travel route. I have tried salt blocks and don't like them - no calcium and they do not disolve very quickly - the deer like to eat dirt saturated w/minerals - they will lick a block but not w/the same frequency or confidence as dirt. I replenish the licks 1-2 times per year and I only put one out every 300-400 acres. It is probably too late to get a lot of activity this year but you won't believe the activity in the spring and summer months. July is by far the best month for mineral lick activity for bucks and August is the next best month. Compare the ingredients and concentrations to any mass marketed product and you will see this mix is better and about 10% of the cost.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Well I've saved all the recipes used by different people on this board...
Now I just need to figure out with one to replenish our licks with!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.