Painted Rock CA

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by ChrisLinnMo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Has anyone hunted it?, and if so can you give me some info on it.

Thanks,
    Chris:D

2. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Big area, real rough country (hard to get deer out of), plenty of hunting pressure with some pre-season poaching to add spice to things.

3. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    My son and I went to out place at Big Branch today and had people come in all around us, not very much fun. Lokking for a new place to go tonight. We are Archery Hunting.

4. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Archery would be different, I was primarily speaking of gun seasons.

5. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    Used to hunt it pretty hard and as mentioned above lots of pressure and rough country for sure. The places that look the best, food plots and all, are the worst places to be there!

6. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    I forgot to mention the deer population is pretty low compared to the middle and northern parts of the state.

7. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Hunted it tonight, saw 2 bucks both under 4 pt. restriction. Didn't know I entered the Iron man contest. (hilly)

8. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    There is a four-point restriction for Shannon County? If so, that is new to me. You aren't in the Iron Man contest until you kill one way down in a holler about a mile and a half from the truck. That's when you earn your bone!

9. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I would have to agree, I placed the restriction after I had arrived and thought about the drag back out. Very nice place but not for anyone who is not in very good shape. I was just am very happy to see the deer. I am talking to a realtor about land for me and my son for next year. I apperciate your help.

10. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
    sometimes it's alot easier to drag that sucker down the mountain and go get a boat to pick him up.....that's what I have to do on the upper end of Current river...those hills are STEEP!!!