Pad or Stool?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by oneshot 1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I've been setting on a Pad,just back up in the brush,trim out where I can get a Bolt through.

But today I was setting in a spot I had picked out for in the evening,there was a bunch of Buck Brush that I cleard out on one side.Well this morning the wind was right to catch them coming from the other direction,problem was I would have to set up to see over the untrimed Buck Brush in that direction.

Here is what I'm thinking I have a Stool that sets up about 18" has a Back Rest.If I was to use this Stool they wouldn't see me any faster than setting on the Pad plus I wouldn't have to trim so much.

Plus setting on the Ground my Legs and Back seem to get colder faster and its harder to get up.

Ideas?

oneshot
    :D the Big Grin would just use a Camo Recliner.

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    A fold up chair like I use in my ground blind? :shrug:

3. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    5 gal bucket with swivel seat backed up to a tree.

4. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1865631&tid=129907&author=Wings Fan 19]A fold up chair like I use in my ground blind? :shrug:[/rquote]

I know the ones your talking about I find it harder getting out of them than I do getting out from my Stool.No it will be the Stool or Pad I'm just thinkling setting up higher won't hurt nothing if I'm backed up to some Brush or a Big Tree.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin is thinking just shoot from the Pickup.

5. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Maybe one of those seats you can strap to a tree?
    Trying to help the Big Grin. :wave:

6. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    :confused: I have a comfortable Stool my concern was setting up higher but I'm thinking it shouldn't be a concern that the Deer wouldn't see anymore than they do now and by the time they get suspicious it will be too late,just watch my movement.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin is thinking Helicopter.

7. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
  8. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    I would choose the stool over sitting on the ground anyday.

9. Kevin13

Kevin13 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Wentzville, MO
    Stool shouldn't be a problem at all.

10. bigdrecycling

bigdrecycling New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Buffalo, MO
    Until I got my ladder stand, I used to sit on a stool or just plain kneel on the ground. Either way I was up higher than sitting on the ground. I've never had a problem with it, as long as I watched my movement, and had my outline broke up by either brush or a big tree. Both are important factors, but I would put more stock in the "outline" than slight movements. I also try to make sure the sun will be shining in their eyes, and not my eyes.
    Good luck!

11. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Never block your stool with a pad.:D

12. hawgjaws

hawgjaws New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hillsboro, MO
    If you decide to go with sitting on the ground i have found something that makes it much more comfortable without a doubt. That is, first find a tree that is big enough to lean against and not hurt your back. THEN, get about a 10" log/dead tree limb and place it on the ground beneath your knees then scoot it up towards your booty. This keeps your but from sliding away from the tree and also keeps your knees up to help you steady your gun on(i know you're bow hunting now though). This makes sitting MUCH more comfortable. :02:

13. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

[rquote=1865994&tid=129907&author=DADAKOTA]Never block your stool with a pad.:D[/rquote]

:eek::hysterical::hysterical: