Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 y.o. and I did well this year.

I started out dropping one at 6:45 AM opening day. Very nice bird with 1.2" very sharp spurs, 9.5" beard. I got him in a relatively overlooked part of a heavily-pressured Conservation Area.

On opening weekend, we went to a different Conservation Area. I had never hunted it before and didn't know whether it would be crowded. There are only a few parking places. The first one we went to already had 3 vehicles and guys starting to leave the parking lot already. So we drove around to a different parking lot. We were the only ones there. That day was cold and pretty uneventful. The next day was Easter, but we decided to go anyway. At about 7:15 I heard one gobble just to the northwest. He came through a thick stand of timber and brush into the field we were hunting over. My wife (on her first hunt carrying a gun) got trigger happy and shot at him at 70 yards with a 20 ga. He ran off the direction he came from. Exactly 12 minutes later he came back with another gobbler. This time, my son capped the new one. He was a good bird, with 11.5" beard and just over 1" spurs.

The 2nd week of season I tried a different CA that I have never turkey hunted before. I've been over most of it during other seasons, though. I called one in from over 400 yards, only to have him run off by a cow. He came back in, but was then run off by a coyote.

The last weekend of season my son & I went back to the CA where he killed his first. I studied a satellite map of the area a little better and found what I thought would be a more productive part. We got on some birds fairly early. We played with them most of the day. There were three jakes and two gobblers. Around 11:30 we had lost contact with them for a while, so decided to try to locate them again. I was able to see 2 gobblers at least 500 yards away. We went back into the timber to gather our stuff, get a snack and regroup while coming up with a plan to make our move. When we were headed that way, we saw a hen in a different field, but only about 100 yards away from where we saw those 2. We took a minute to watch her, then saw the gobblers sprint towards her and circle her strutting. We had a good 150 yard walk where we were concealed by brush, then couldn't go further without risking being seen. We set up there at about noon. We could see that there were 3 gobblers and the hen. I called aggressively to either pull one of the gobblers away or bring in the hen and let the gobbler follow. It took until 12:58, but finally the hen and one gobbler got into range. My son tagged out on this big boy. 9.5" beard, 1 7/16" daggers.

· Hawk Hibernator
2,850 Posts
My 16 y.o. and I did well this year.

I started out dropping one at 6:45 AM opening day. Very nice bird with 1.2" very sharp spurs, 9.5" beard. I got him in a relatively overlooked part of a heavily-pressured Conservation Area.

On opening weekend, we went to a different Conservation Area. I had never hunted it before and didn't know whether it would be crowded. There are only a few parking places. The first one we went to already had 3 vehicles and guys starting to leave the parking lot already. So we drove around to a different parking lot. We were the only ones there. That day was cold and pretty uneventful. The next day was Easter, but we decided to go anyway. At about 7:15 I heard one gobble just to the northwest. He came through a thick stand of timber and brush into the field we were hunting over. My wife (on her first hunt carrying a gun) got trigger happy and shot at him at 70 yards with a 20 ga. He ran off the direction he came from. Exactly 12 minutes later he came back with another gobbler. This time, my son capped the new one. He was a good bird, with 11.5" beard and just over 1" spurs.

The 2nd week of season I tried a different CA that I have never turkey hunted before. I've been over most of it during other seasons, though. I called one in from over 400 yards, only to have him run off by a cow. He came back in, but was then run off by a coyote.

The last weekend of season my son & I went back to the CA where he killed his first. I studied a satellite map of the area a little better and found what I thought would be a more productive part. We got on some birds fairly early. We played with them most of the day. There were three jakes and two gobblers. Around 11:30 we had lost contact with them for a while, so decided to try to locate them again. I was able to see 2 gobblers at least 500 yards away. We went back into the timber to gather our stuff, get a snack and regroup while coming up with a plan to make our move. When we were headed that way, we saw a hen in a different field, but only about 100 yards away from where we saw those 2. We took a minute to watch her, then saw the gobblers sprint towards her and circle her strutting. We had a good 150 yard walk where we were concealed by brush, then couldn't go further without risking being seen. We set up there at about noon. We could see that there were 3 gobblers and the hen. I called aggressively to either pull one of the gobblers away or bring in the hen and let the gobbler follow. It took until 12:58, but finally the hen and one gobbler got into range. My son tagged out on this big boy. 9.5" beard, 1 7/16" daggers.

How long is that barrel on that weapon?

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Above average public ground season. Congrats.:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.