Our Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JimH, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    well we had a great weekend, no doubt. the weather was fantastic, the land we hunted on was to die for, the turkeys just didn't want to cooperate :mad:
    ok maybe i couldn't call worth a hoot. sat. morning started off slow and got slower. we heard one gobble in another zip code. oh well i chaulked it up to the sport of hunting and my son went on without a hitch. i'm telling you right now my oldest son isn't the most "Go After" kid around. he held in there for the duration and never wined once. i mean to tell you we hunted long and hard. the spring hunts go from sun up to 1:00 pm in missouri, and on sat. we went right up to the bell and walked countless ridges and fields. the rest of the afternoon we did a little rideing on the atv and had some fun. late that afternoon as evening was getting ready to come in the temp. dropped and the air stood stiil. we had already started a small fire outside and the smoke just drifted straight up. not a sound was being made for a while and then we heard them. the turkeys we looked for high and low sounded off in the distance one by one until we knew that there where at least 4 in our zip code that evening. we noted the direction and made our plans for how we would take sun. morning on. well sun. morning came early and cold (well crisp anyway) we where about 35 in the morning and as still as the night before. we where dressed and out the door walking down the trail in the dark at 5:20 headed to the lower field. once we got to the first field i let loose with the owl call and after a brief still moment it boomed back. still only a moment after that came another then a third, all from across a couple fields pass the creek and up on two diff ridges beyound in the distance. it was going to be a walk and a half if we where to persue it and i turned to my son and asked him what he wanted to do. his wisdom was good in his reply, i would rather take a chance hunting an area where we know they are than to sit where they weren't. crossing two field, under some barbwire, cross the creek and up one stinking steep ridge. by the time we got up there we where warm and didn't notice how cold it was. the gobbling went on and as the sun came up i let a few morning yelps go which where well received. while sitting waiting for all what was to happen we saw a family of raccons (mom & little ones) making their way back from a night on the town. as the sun started to poke in i could make out several rubs on some trees from this past fall. this ridge was full of old growth white oaks with an open forest floor which gave decent shooting lanes should the need arive. to the left end it wrapped around and headed away from us and that side had more of a denser growth with some scrub and such. i would hunt this ridge for deer in a heart beat. back to the turkeys, after fly down i could tell we where not as close as i had wanted, we called and i got some responces, but they where definatly not right around the corner. we moved a little and tried some more but it soon became apparent that the birds where just over on someone elses property. we worked it for a while and to be truthful i think we could have pulled it off but my son was getting cold hands and i could tell it was becoming a hinderance to him. i finaly asked if he wanted to go back to the house and call it a day and he nodded yes. i would have given anything if we could have jumped one on the way back but it didn't happen. as we packed up that morning and got ready to head out after locking up i told my son "you know we'll see a bird on the way out, it always happens like that". after locking the last gate and turning onto the road off the drive, sure enough on the right was standing a bird. my son shook his head and looked at me and asked "How did you know? i told him "Thats just hunting".

[​IMG]

2. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Very good hunt and even better ending! I will be taking my little ones hunting in a few years...I can't wait.

3. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Awesome story, Jim. Enoyed it. I'm glad your boy had a good time.:cheers:

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    That is what it is all about. I see some great hunting in the future for your son and Dad. :eek:

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Ya don't always have to bag one to have a hunt that the memories will last for years. Way to go Jim:cheers:

MoBowman ```---------->

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Great story!
    Thanks for sharing everything!
    :cheers::cheers:

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Fantastic !!

Congrats on getting the young man involved in our outdoors !

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Jim, really nice story and :cheers::cheers::cheers: to you for getting him out in the turkey woods!!:eek:

Jack:)

9. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Thanks for sharing your story with us! Good weekend in the woods for sure!

10. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Sounds like a great time even if you didn't get into the birds. Hope he gets one during the regular season. Great story! Thanks for posting it!!:cheers:

11. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like how you still have a story even though it didn't end up as planned.:cheers: