Our dog was attacked!

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by venatic, Apr 1, 2017.

1. steaknhunt

steaknhunt New Member

Aug 20, 2016
    How much were the bills?
  2. Mrs. Venatic

Mrs. Venatic Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Florissant, MO
    We were the first ones there....out front for awhile before they let us in. when we lined up...all were told to keep 2 ft apart from those in front of us. This lady came later... Went to Petco today to swap out the cloth muzzle I had gotten (got S...he needed XS)...knew he was going to be major pissed when I started hydrogen peroxiding. (Yep...he was..lol). ER bill was close to $400...and attacker parents paid for it. Gary thought Mz 70 lbs was a big boxer... Found out today wehen we were at the store (Jean the manager was there today too...came over to talk to us and see how he was doing.) She said that it was a dog the family had adopted/rescued in November...had shown zero aggression till then...Jean said that those working at the store and the family felt really bad. Not blaming it on the breed...but we did find out to day that it was a pit bull. Store manager felt really bad that when we left, (drop the girls off at home) and took him to the emergency place...said that Petco would pay the full bill. When the ER place called her with the bill...corporate had told her NO...they do not do that. So thats when Mz 70's family was called...and they did pay. The side of his neck that has the one puncture but no suture...really bruised...looks so swollen now. Made him a bed out in the family room. Been keeping myself busy going thru stuff to donate to keep him company out there. Lord help me if I leave the room for anything and leave him alone.... Comes crying looking. Guess I shouldnt have drunk soda and water huh?! LOL Thank you all again for all your posts....really really appreciated.

3. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    we adopted a puppy 9-10 years ago. Pit/boxer mix. it was a beautiful dog and we had him for almost a year. Raised it with love and affection until it about killed another one of or pets. (lab). I have never seen an animal snap like that and I have been around animals my whole life.

I hope your dog heals quickly. I have seen a beagle ripped to shreds recover and live a long full life
  4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    I'm not a pit bull fan at all some people are what ever trips their trigger. I had a good customer that loved and raised them for sale, about five years ago out of the blue they turned on him. If his neighbors hadn't been outside they would have killed him, they ended shooting three of them off of him. Now five years later he has lost his job, his cars,his house,his wife, is in a wheel chair and lives with his neighbors who saved his life.

So needless to say I really don't like pitbulls:mad:
  5. UncleSlayer

UncleSlayer Senior Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Boone County
    well i have two pits that live next door and four small kids. I guess I dont need any sleep, h_callahan sure has me not trusting even more. They have a large fenced yard but fence is only 4'. and one dog really growls and barks at my four and two year old daughters. not sure there is anything I can do until something terrible happens. I have chickens that go everywhere and those dogs could care less. But as soon as the sliding door opens up they run over and bark and growl. The owner seems like he is indifferent to the actions of the dogs.
    Also some strays wandered into yard a few weeks ago and chewed up a couple of my chickens. Went down to neighbors cause that is the direction my wife pointed, they were down there. I had my 17 and boy those two dogs were super friendly and nice. didnt shoot when i could have then they took off. Hope they never come back will feel bad if they do. one was a boxer. other a mutt.
  6. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Big Grin 1 sent me having stitches one time pulling him off a Beagle. He didn't know it was me though.

Bad thing is I already had stitches in the other hand from putting a knife in it on a camping trip.

7. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank you everyone for your concern.

We still haven't told my mother-in-law, as it was her dog before we moved her up here.
  8. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Active Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Wont let anyone bring a Pitt Bull to my house. Don't care who they are or what people think.
  9. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

was waiting for that..now here we go with the Pit Bulls are the Debil tirade we have not seen in a while.
  10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    How many stories like the ones here regarding pitbulls will it take to convince you?

Sorry about your dog Gary and hope it heals up for ya.
  11. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

Mrs V said this in her first post "Not blaming it on the breed"

So I'm going to follow her lead.
  12. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO

I try to stay out of these conversations, but when we were little, my brother was cornered by a lab. The police finally had to put it down after a couple of different run-ins with it. The dog had a hard life and was severely mistreated.

That being said, it's hard to tell what kind of life a stray/rescue dog has had.
  13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If pit bulls didn't deserve that reputation, people wouldn't by nature be afraid of them.
  14. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Sort of like snakes and spiders. If some of them were not venomous, people wouldn't be nearly askeerd of them as they are.:wave:
  15. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    It's not all pitbulls. It's the people who own them before they are "rescued". I don't care what the breed. Dogs that show aggression, kill for their food, or have been physically abused should be put down. Plenty of other dogs out there.
  16. crappiehunter18

crappiehunter18 Active Member

Nov 9, 2014
    ALL dogs show aggression and/or kill for their food.Rethink your statement.All that'll be left after your cleansing will be cats.Well,no.They also show aggression and kill for food.Now I have a headache
  17. Mrs. Venatic

Mrs. Venatic Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Florissant, MO
    Sandals...I agree/like the first part. And we know our rescued beagle was abused...the other two...not sure...but all three are rescues. Give them a chance...and its up to you as an owner to care for them, so they will learn to care for you...and short leash them in public. This lady did not.

Jake's drainage tube was taken out last night. He can now go in and out by himself (ie...not carried down the two steps to the back patio). Eating and drinking again! And I got to sleep in an honest goodness bed!! Wooo Whooo! He knows at this point (Jake) that we still pick him up to put on the bed...and to put him down on the floor. (Tall bed). Hopefully doesn't decide to do something stupid for a couple of weeks and try that on his own...lol

Again you all...ty ty ty!
  18. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    eating and drinking again is a good milestone in his recovery. pooping regular is another. (i know gross right) glad he is getting better and sounds like the worse is behind you
  19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    My daughter has adopted a pit bull mix but she was only 3 months old. Today she is 10 months old and plays with my 2 year old grand daughter. Still very playful....so far.

Attached Files:

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Agree totally. Its just that pits have a very strong mastoid process and propensity to hang on.
    Yep, any dog can show aggression.... ask yourself if you'd rather be on the receiving end of that aggression from a pit bull or a chihuahua.

Not all breeds have the same temperament.