Otter Slough Managed Hunts

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by squints1, Oct 26, 2010.

1. squints1

squints1 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Sikeston, MO
    Anybody that's hunted yet done any good? I'm hunting the Dec 31-Jan 15 hunt and was just wondering how everybody has been doing thus far.

2. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    I hunted the first hunt. My group had 5 in it. I hunted 13 of the 16 days of the hunt. I saw 26 deer total with only two bucks(which were both @3" spikes). Between other 4 people in my group they saw @ 40 deer total with 2 more spikes and one scrub 6pt. I killed a button buck last evening of hunt. Other buddy killed doe toward end of the hunt and he hunted about 10 days of hunt. My wife shot and did not recover a doe. I also told guy I knew from another group where to hunt and he killed a doe. I also know of another doe being killed on first hunt.

Between our group of 5 hunters we hunted a LOT of the area. We also started scouting @ a month (hopeing we would be drawn)before season since the area was open to the public then.

If you have any questions PM me if you want and I will give you more details.

thanks
    citori

3. squints1

squints1 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Sikeston, MO
    Thanks citori. I will definitely be getting with you later on before my hunt starts. Man, sounds like you guys saw A LOT of deer. Weird that there werent more bucks tho.

4. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010
    i duck hunt occasionally (when I'm lucky enough to get an invite) on a friend's private family plot of land which is essentially surrounded by Otter Slough. My buddy's uncle just started bowhunting a couple years ago and he's killed two giant bucks. There are DEFINITELY some big ones around, don't be discouraged.
    Plenty of places for them to be hiding around there, just keep your fingers crossed. With duck hunting being in full swing up until the couple days prior to your hunt, those deer will have completely rearranged their routines with folks stomping and shooting all around them.

Good luck!

5. [rquote=1863737&tid=129705&author=MOFish20]i duck hunt occasionally (when I'm lucky enough to get an invite) on a friend's private family plot of land which is essentially surrounded by Otter Slough. My buddy's uncle just started bowhunting a couple years ago and he's killed two giant bucks. There are DEFINITELY some big ones around, don't be discouraged.
    Plenty of places for them to be hiding around there, just keep your fingers crossed. With duck hunting being in full swing up until the couple days prior to your hunt, those deer will have completely rearranged their routines with folks stomping and shooting all around them.

Good luck![/rquote]

Nope, no big bucks down there :bull:
    :)

6. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1863737&tid=129705&author=MOFish20]i duck hunt occasionally (when I'm lucky enough to get an invite) on a friend's private family plot of land which is essentially surrounded by Otter Slough. My buddy's uncle just started bowhunting a couple years ago and he's killed two giant bucks. There are DEFINITELY some big ones around, don't be discouraged.

Good luck![/rquote]

About three years ago Me and a buddy were driving down the "870 express" road going to field 26 before daylight to duck hunt. We saw a GIANT standing next to the road, so they're in there somewhere, or were at one time.

7. The big droptine buck is dead and mounted in the headquarters building now. But I have seen other studs while duck hunting. Seen a big one walking down the levy by 17 right beside cypress lake last year.

8. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Chad.

17 is about 3/4 mile south from cypress lake. Cypress lake has miller woods to the north, plover pond to the east, 14 to the south, and otter lake to the west.

I hunt a private spot at otter slough and hunt the slough also.

I drive around the slough @ 10+ times a week average from august to march. I live on one side of slough and and my work is on other side of slough, so I drive through there almost every day and sometimes twice a day. I have done this for 10 years. I have hunted that area for about 20 years.

There are some HUGE bucks there, but there are fewer there now than there were up to about 6years ago. MDC did a deer survey of the slough "area" several years ago and estimated there were approx. 15 bucks 135+ in the area during that survey.

There were aprox. 8 bucks killed on property next to slough that I know of in one year. They have REALLY hammered the bucks in that area the last 4-6 years. The biggest one scored in the low 180's and the others were 125 class plus.

I know most of the guys that hunt the private lands around there for deer, and have a good network of people so I keep up with most that are killed in the area. This is not taking into account what is poached in the area.

This area has declined in both number and quantity of big bucks in the past years, but there are still some nice ones in the area.

thanks
    citori

9. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    I am also friends with the guy that killed one of the two bucks that have ever been killed on the managed hunts at the slough before this year. He killed his two years ago and it scored in the 120's with part of one main beam broke off.

later
    citori

10. I was talkint about blind 7, right in the corner of the lake by the big parkind area. Don't know why I put 17. And this deer was 140 plus in 08.

11. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Oh year...LOL...i got a doe with my truck on the way to hunt the slough the first weekend of the special hunt. I hit it running out of moccasin ridge (mintons hunting area) back into pool 8/cook woods about 250 yards before you turn onto the sloughs chat road.

later
    citori