Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at a particular firearm that I want to buy off gunbroker today and it is made in 223, 204, 22-250 and 6BR.

I was about to order another 204 because the 204 is bar none one of my most favorite rifle rounds and I love shooting them. However I already have two .204's and for me something different sounded like it may be fun. So I started reading on the advantages of the 6BR.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Factory ammo is available, albeit expensive but since I reload and there are about a million recipe's for loads due to its popularity I was thinking about giving it a try.

Now the big question - what will I use the gun for? Most likely shooting at paper and coyotes and if I ever find time try to kill some ground rats too. The gun is a single shot bolt gun. The easy answer is .204 since I already have some great loads developed and all the brass and bullets I would ever need. But I am intrigued with this 6BR. It may not make sense but I gotta be me.

I want to order this gun today, look forward to your input.

and my mind is not made up, I am on the fence.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
I say go for the 6mm BR. Not something everyone has and it is a cool round.:eek::

[file]93894[/file]

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1578436&tid=109603&author=macon county boy]6br is great for punching paper 204 is great for killing stuff you decide[/rquote]

Have you seen all of the bullet choices? I would say the 6mm BR is pretty fair at killing stuff as well. I am just trying to decide if I want to go down the path of getting new dies etc.... I have 100's of 204 rounds loaded and ready to roll. it could be argued that the 6BR and 6PPC ar among the most accurate rounds available... But I really like the 204.

Torn. I'll wait for some more feedback and pros and cons.

338 lapua? honestly I want one (not sure why) but that is not my angle with this purchase. I'm narrowed down to two rifles to choose from. Savage or a Cooper...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Don't know much of anything about the 6 but I've be researching .204 cause I am about to pull the trigger and get me one. Just don't know exatly which one yet.
That 6 is a bad looking round

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll love the 204 country, great round, fun to load and fun to shoot. I have a Ruger #1V stainless and a custom AR15 chambered in 204 ruger and they both shoot great, the AR better than the #1.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1578493&tid=109603&author=FiremanBrad]Those Coopers are pretty sweet! Our now closed gunshop carried them.:wave:[/rquote]

They are, I have a model 38 .17 fireball that is tight......

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
You gotta PM...............:D I'll go public with my vote, 6BR, they are a hoot.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
[rquote=1578576&tid=109603&author=macon county boy]ifn i was gonna do 6mm id do 6mm a.i.[/rquote]

It depends on what he wants to do with it:). A 6mm AI is nice, but it's a lot harder on barrels and probably won't be as finitely accurate as a 6BR, which is about as close to a 6PPC as it gets for accuracy, without the headaches a PPC will give you.
A typical 6BR charge is only 32-33 grains of powder, versus 45-48 gr. in a 6AI, so figure a barrel throat will last half-again longer, and more than likely more accurate, at least at normal ranges.

With a chamber cut for a .271" neck diameter, all he'll need is Lapua cases, some Fed. Match primers and a pound of H-322, and he'll be able to rack up some groups that would shame anything short of a custom benchrest rifle.
The first time I took mine out, some folks setting up beside me said "Mister, did you know all those bullets went into the same hole?"
I said, " I was kinda hoping they would" :D:D:D
Mine was built on an old 112 Savage action, a Hart barrel, and an ugly Choate stock, which I used because it was the only thing we had with a barrel channel big enough for that 1.25" diameter Hart barrel.:claphands:

Lousy pic, but it's the old 6BR me and a buddy built together as a project, to see how cheap we could build a real-deal custom prairie dog rifle.

[file]93898[/file]

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
hmm sounds good we been using a 244ai for years aint wore it out yet it kills too has taken numerous deer dogs and prarie dogs dont agree at all on a 6 br being a real -deal prarie dog gun or on the fed primer bull muffins i prefer the 204 and 223 and even like the 244 it works fine we dont use hart barells maybe thats why the 244 ai is still going after 5000 rds

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
So, you don't have any experience with a 6BR, but you're running it down? Life isn't all about velocity, accuracy is its own reward. The BR DOES shoot within about 150fps of a .243, using a lot less powder, if that floats yer boat.

It's also been used a LOT in 1000 yard competition, with a fast twist barrel and 107 gr. bullets, so it must be doing something right, dontcha think?

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like you have many options for bullet types and weight with the 6mm BR too.

Glennasher - This is the Savage that I am considering and it has a 1-12" twist barrel.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPV DUAL PORT

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156003875

This is the Cooper and it has a 1-14" twist barrel.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=155706632

The competition type rifles for 1000 yard shooting seem to have 1-8" twist and I don't think I need that as I will most likely be shooting the lighter bullets. I am thinking for the bullet weights that I will be shooting the 1-12" is my best bet and I really am kind of leaning towards the Savage due to the price and I kind of want to give Savage a try to see what everybody is talking about. Honestly I picked up a Savage at a gun shop about 5 years ago and the quality of the gun left much to be desired but as I understand it from everyone on here they have come a long way and are right up there in accuracy with some of the more expensive rifles on the market (i.e. the Cooper). I know that Cooper will shoot right out of the box and I am hoping the same will be true for the Savage as I think I am going to give it a try.

So 1-12" or 1-14"?

Savage or Cooper?

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[rquote=1578763&tid=109603&author=macon county boy]not talking the caliber down it has its place if i was shootn f-class i might consider one but i kill animals not paper glenn[/rquote]\\have your read anything about the 6mmBR? It is widely considered to be a great varmint / Prairie dog gun.

Just because it says BR doesn't mean it is only for bench rest shooting. Savage is chambering it in its long range precision varmint gun in a hunting style stock..... I am curious why you feel it is only a paper puncher?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.