Ordered one of these today.. anybody have one??

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rat, Mar 20, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    12 Series Varmint
    Model 12FVSS – with AccuTrigger™
    Action Short
    Caliber 223 Rem
    Overall Length 46"
    Barrel Length 26"
    Weight 8.75 lbs
    Magazine Capacity 4 rounds .223 Rem
    Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
    Sights Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
    Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem (1 in 9")
    Features AccuTriggerâ„¢, oversized bolt handle, stainless barreled action, heavy, fluted, free-floating and button-rifled barrel with internal box magazine and swivel studs.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'd be interested in any feedback I can get. I am thinking of putting a 4.5X-14X - 42mm Burris fullfieldII with the ballistic plex reticle on top. Oh... savage rifle above and will be used for prairie doggin and yotes primarily..

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    rat, you've done it now, hope your ready for what will befall you. won't be able to get enough shooting in, the wife will get mad and the kids, well they will think you live somewhere else and come home to visit.:hysterical: I have the 12fv which is not as nice as that one but it works the same. they are tac drivers and you will love that trigger. my only complaint at all and it is not that big of a complaint is the stocks. they are workable but they just don't have that feel that my remingtons have. however they will outshoot my remington so i can live with it until i decide if it needs replaces.

as for p-doggin mine is in the .243 and have taken dogs out to and a little past 400 yards with it. of course with my skill that takes a little walking with the bullet to get there but the p-dogs don't really mind until it is to late.

4. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    I have 2 model 12's...my 308 has been turned into a sniper wannabe...sub moa with a carefully modified load, and my other 12bvss is a tack driver with any load. You won't be dissappointed in the Savage, if you reload, you will be even more happy. I would look into a different stock though...Savage doesn't put a whole lot of effort into their stocks.

5. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    you won't be dissapointed in its accuracy all of them I have seen or shot
    will outshoot the shooter.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thayer... I dont reload but I heard the Black Hills ammo is good stuff at a reasonable price and competes with handloads.

7. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Actually, you could pick out a bunch of different ammo, after you get it broke in, and see what works best for you baby.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well... I missed this hunt last year and a buddy of mine said he got some cheap crap ammo for about half what they want for the black hills stuff and it drove him nuts all week. Kept hanging up in his rem700.

One more thing here.... I may only be able to sight this is at 100yds before we leave. If so, should I have it hitting 2 or 3"high at 100 (55gr)??

9. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Depends on what you are shooting at and how far? That is a good idea for a larger caliber out to 400 yards..but for a .223 you might want to be 1" high...to be good for up to 300 yds.

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks Thayer.. I am admittely dumb about varmitting and I appreciate the advice.

Sounds like shots anywhere up to 4-500yds on these doggies. They seem to be dumb enough to give you a practice shot or three before they get nervous.

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Rat, if you git up this way, bring that fine lookin rig along, we can go to our range up here, you can shoot all the way out to 600 if ya'd like!!!

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I may take you up on that Brad.. I have a place to go but the problem may be getting a free weekend between now and when I go to make it happen. I'll definitely keep it in mind tho!

13. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

you need to havbe a get together shoot em up for people who like or would like to try that far..200 is the best we goyt at Mobiggies..not that I'm complaining..200 is fine for MoWhitetails

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Sorry to hammer on this, but what about the scope choice? I am not committed to this part yet....

15. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Don't have one exactly like that, currently, but did have one in .22/250, it was a steady .4" gun with my ammo. My .204 has a custom stock, otherwise it's the same gun, too. Nice rifles. I'd type more, but my athritis is killing me, and this is it for the night! Sorry I can't bore you with tales of derring-do.

16. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY

that's all I got, arthur's in my typing hand, and I'm not ambi!

17. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Burris has always been good to me, and they stand by their warranties.

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm convinced!

I'll post a pic of the new shooter soon.. thanks all.

19. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    there's no question that the scope is a good quality brand. but is it enough magnification for P.D.'s? glen can answer that as i haven't done any of that yet. i have a model 12 in .223 also and i have found black hills ammo to be very good in it especialy the 68 gr and 69 gr loads they offer. heck the 55 gr shoots ok too. mine shot pretty good but i did hav eht e action glass bedded last summer too and it really brought it all together, shoots everything more consistantly now. most folks don't do anything else to theirs so don't be surprised if you don't either. you nned to check out savageshooters. for all your savage questions. oh i topped mine in a Mueller 8.5x25x50

20. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    ok i can't let glen steal all the photo opps.

[​IMG]