Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I have decided I need to harvest a whitetail with a revolver. Given proper bullets, enough practice for accuracy,and reasonable distances, is the 357 magnum enough gun to deer hunt? What are your opinions and why? Thanks.

· Registered
32,087 Posts
Yes, assuming all your assumptions are met. It is minimal so margin of error is small.

· Registered
2,920 Posts
I have not taken a deer with a pistol. However, your selection is legal. I have succesfully used a .440 round ball over a dash of FFG . Your quest makes the sport challenging. That's called sportsmanship. As you are aware, shot placement is everything. If it is legal and you are good enough to pull it off, carry on.

· Full Fledged Member
4,928 Posts
My uneducated opinion, never have taken a deer with one, is....it sure blows a pretty good hole in stuff you point it at.
Under 40-50 yards, if you do your job, i have no doubt the deer won't know the difference between a 357 and a 3:08....

· Registered
825 Posts
I have Taken 2 does with my 357. One was double lung only went 30 yards other one hit it high it dropped but required a follow up shot I’m pretty comfortable at 40 to 50 yards beyond that I’ll stick to targets. Used 158 grain soft points.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
.357 will make excellent deer killer with good shot placement. :D

· Registered
650 Posts
I debated a few years ago about trying to take a deer with my .357 and eventually decided against trying it. Buffalo Bore makes some hot loads with 158g and 170g, which is what I planned to use and I would recommend if you decide to do it and if your gun can handle the higher pressures. What revolver do you have? I will also add I am no expert on anything. I have heard it said multiple times that many S&W revolvers may not hold up well with the Buffalo Bore rounds. So beware and ask those more knowledgeable than I am.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I debated a few years ago about trying to take a deer with my .357 and eventually decided against trying it. Buffalo Bore makes some hot loads with 158g and 170g, which is what I planned to use and I would recommend if you decide to do it and if your gun can handle the higher pressures. What revolver do you have? I will also add I am no expert on anything. I have heard it said multiple times that many S&W revolvers may not hold up well with the Buffalo Bore rounds. So beware and ask those more knowledgeable than I am.
I would be using a Ruger GP100

1 - 14 of 14 Posts