Opinions on plowed fields

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Vector, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :whiteflag: Well, with this wet year, the farmer has got all of the fields disced and ready for planting next spring.

I can see plenty of tracks where the deer are walking through it, but it SURE cuts down on that whole 'path of least resistance' idea that I like to set up for the deer.

This place is 85ish percent crop field. With everything turned over, it makes for hard walking for the hunter, and the deer, and it also turns all the food under.

I had this happen I think 3 years ago, and it was like PULLING TEETH to get to see a deer. We seem to be having the same results now that it is all plowed up again.

What say you? I'm about ready to thrown in the towel and just turn wood. I'm logging a lot of hours with no deer sightings. And of course to boot, I can't get a picture of a decent buck on my trail cam from this whole past summer and fall. Hard to keep my butt in a stand. :whiteflag:

BOOOO HOOOO HOOOOO! :whinging: :hysterical:

Parker

2. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've already driven the edges I need to be able to walk into my stands easily in the tire tracks. I'm more worried about the lack of food more than anything.

Parker

3. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    You have any fence line stands on the field edges? The may not be in fields as much but they will still be traveling the edges in the fence lines between the fields.

4. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: There's not much for travel paths between fields, but there are some.

I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences with plowed fields?

Anyone sit over plowed fields and kill bucks anyways?

Parker

5. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1884033&tid=131232&author=Parker]:cheers: There's not much for travel paths between fields, but there are some.

I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences with plowed fields?

Anyone sit over plowed fields and kill bucks anyways?

Parker[/rquote]

I have if all other fields in the area are plowed up...if there are some around that aren't then no.

6. Monster J

Monster J Member

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    I was up north this last week and it looks like all the farmers are plowing there field! I guess with the dry weather they got all there crops out and r getting ready for next year.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    What crop was tilled under this year? I'm assuming corn... is this a corn/soybean rotation year to year?

8. Monster J

Monster J Member

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Both corn and soybean

9. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1884288&tid=131232&author=rat]What crop was tilled under this year? I'm assuming corn... is this a corn/soybean rotation year to year?[/rquote]

Yes. There's still plenty of corn on top on the plowed corn field, but it is not huntable with a bow. The field is extremely large, and there are no trees big enough for a stand. I've got a blind out there for gun season.

The other 80 percent of the property is beans, and these babies are TURNED UNDER big time.

Parker

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Pesky farmers. :D

Good luck parks!! You'll figure it out I'm sure. Youve had a great fall man.

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :D Gonna put up with it for about 2 or 3 more days, and then I'm going to switch farms. That's how I'm going to put up with it. :D

Parker

12. mrmurph

mrmurph Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    I had a field a couple years ago that was awesome, then the farmer plowed the ground and that was the end of that. Deer sightings went to none and we moved out.

13. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1884323&tid=131232&author=mrmurph]I had a field a couple years ago that was awesome, then the farmer plowed the ground and that was the end of that. Deer sightings went to none and we moved out.[/rquote]

:cheers: Just want to make sure I wasn't being crazy.

I've still got that acre of turned up turnips to deal with, but they're not touching them right now. And if the deer vacate the farm, they won't know when the turnips are good anyways.

Parker