Opinions on 223 WSSM

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by beanpile, Mar 27, 2006.

1. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

ran into a deal but the derned thing is a 223 WSSM..just kinda wondering ya'all's opinions on that round

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Not that I have any experience with the round, but I think that its a fad round, and that you're going to kick yourself in the but buying ammo for it in a couple years.

Just my .02.

Parker

3. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    You couldn't run fast enough to give me one. A buddy of mine bought one, you couldn't hit your hat with it, if you propped it on the muzzle, and it was Winchester's top-of-the-line, heavy barrelled rifle, too. Run away, and be happy you avoided it. He's not alone, they are extremely finicky and a PITA.

4. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    http://wssmzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34

Here's some interesting reading, of the trouble and travails of the WSSMs. They are my VERY favorite dog to kick, in case you hadn't guessed! You might also read the comments on barrel heat in the .22/250 ammo thread, here, the .223 WSSM uses 40+ grains of powder, and you have to funnel all that heat down a .224" barrel! During Hornady's testing, they got a barrel life of 300 rounds!!!! That was before they chrome-lined the barrels, which extend barrel life, but kill accuracy, which is what a varmint rifle is all about! (I could beat this dog all night long, but you're getting the idea, right?) Just about everything about them is fupped duck, they even have to be cleaned every 15 rounds or so, or accuracy goes to pot. I can shoot a regular old .223 for hundreds of rounds before accuracy goes downhill.

5. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

pretty much tels me what i wanted to know