Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I've never hunted MO but, I have a good bit of ground I can hunt in Macon county. Its along the Salt River and has a lot of agr. crops and a lot of hardwood also. The crops are 50% corn and soybeans. Should I come up and hunt Opening Weekend or will the standing corn hurt my chances of seeing or killing a good buck? Should I wait later in the season to come hunt? Will the beans still be green or will they be gone?

Thanks fellas!!

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I think any place you hunt opening day is going to have limited movement due to weather and crops.
Sept should still see bucks in bachelor groups. If you've got the time to pattern a good buck before you hunt then it could be as good as later.
Hunting blind though I would wait until the crops are gone and the bucks are thinking about does.

And welcome to the Forum !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on coming up for about 3 days before season opens and try to pattern a buck from a distant hillside. BUt, I was unsure about if the bucks will still be in the standing corn with it being as hot as its been or if they would bed in the shade of the woods this time of year. Other than that , I'm used to the skeeters and heat!

Will the beans have turned or will they still be green?

Thanks for the welcome!:wave:

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
Last couple of years the crops have already been cut by the time opening weekend arrives. If your after the big one you better be there early..........

Of course I could run up there the week before with my bow and stand guard over the place for ya :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I reckon I'm gonna go like I planned.

If the crops are gone, how is the acorn crop this year in MO?

What are ya'lls experiences with the deer bedding in the corn while its this hot? I don't think they use it as much as a lot of folks say. I could be very wrong?!!?

Well I scouted this place last year at this time and I saw 2 140 class bucks , 1 150 class and 1 170 class in the beans all in the same field. A couple of them were bedded in the beans and popped up after I'd been watching for a while , I was very suprised to see them bed in the beans like that.

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,203 Posts
Beans are still gonna be green, with some patches starting to turn. They will more than likely not be harvested come Sept 15, unless the crop turned out to be a dud. As the acorns go, it just depends if you have a lot of trees in small areas to attract the deer to that certain area. Deer bedding in the corn depends on the cover that is around the corn. If they have good, well grown/used bedding areas around, then they won't spend much time "bedding" in the corn fields. But they will bed in the corn if that is the safest place the feel they can be in the area. I've seen many deer bedding in the beans, especially in the summer months. This is because, as you said, the corn does get a little too warm for their liking when it get up in the 90's and 100's and the humidity is through the roof.

Is three days all you have to hunt? If so, it might be a tough feat to harvest a nice buck only hunting the area for three days. If you can, I would suggest that you spend as much time as you can in the area, patterning the deer as you had mentioned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I'm gonna spend the 3 days scouting and patterning a buck BEFORE season opens. I can hunt all season long if I need too.

Yeah, they do have some good established bedding areas in the woods. I just had a local from up there tell me I'd be wasting my time trying to hunt the bucks with the corn still standing. So, I'm gonna go regardless.

Thanks for ya'll's help!!:eek:

·
5,631 Posts
I'm not sure about Macon Co but I saw some corn being cut for sileage already this last weekend. Depends on if they got enough rain at the right time for the corn to make real well. Around here, it'll be cut early

Same goes for acorns. Depends on the rainfall amounts, I'd say.

Here around Jeff City we've been in a freakin drought all summer. NWMO looks like April with all the rain they've had.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
I'm not sure about Macon Co but I saw some corn being cut for sileage already this last weekend. Depends on if they got enough rain at the right time for the corn to make real well. Around here, it'll be cut early

Same goes for acorns. Depends on the rainfall amounts, I'd say.

Here around Jeff City we've been in a freakin drought all summer. NWMO looks like April with all the rain they've had.
Same here, sileage is going down everywhere...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.