Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys had good luck hunting early season P/Y bucks? I'm coming up to hunt Opening Week and wanted to know if the bucks will still be on their summer pattern?

I had a guy that lives in MO tell me that I was wasting my time coming up to hunt this early in the season. What do ya'll think?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well you're up in my neck of the woods. Up here, on my property, if you pattern them right, you can usually get a nice buck. So far, they are still nocternal up here. But on my cams i have had some does and fawns leaving feeding areas right at daylight. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am from Central MO and hunt here also. I am getting deer pics at everytime of the day. They are still running in bachelor groups from what I have observing. The first week of the season might be a good time to harvest a good buck
since they are running together as long as you can find them.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
I would stick close to food sources and/or water. Last year on Sept 17th I arrowed a nice buck on the edge of food plot. Failed to recover that deer. Made some mistake during tracking and I pushed him off the property.:mad2::banghead:

Saw a bachelor group sunday morning from my stand in the middle of the timber, it was about 8:30...

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Yes, they're still going to be in their summer patterns up to around October 1. Food and water. And when you see one buck, you better be looking for more before you let the arrow fly, cause you might shoot one of the middle bucks instead of the big 'un.

Parker

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't know about P/Y but we're seeing groups of bucks like we did last year. A little rattlin' oughta bring you some P/Y's if your'e patient about it.

The acorns and hickory nuts are on the ground and the light rain this Fall turned everything green again - unlike last year when the open fields were brown.

I think September is going to be a great month to hunt - especially if the weather stays cool.

Good luck! Whoever told you you're wasting your time must not be as excited about bowhunting as we are.

Originally posted by OleMiss
Have any of you guys had good luck hunting early season P/Y bucks? I'm coming up to hunt Opening Week and wanted to know if the bucks will still be on their summer pattern?

I had a guy that lives in MO tell me that I was wasting my time coming up to hunt this early in the season. What do ya'll think?

Thanks

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
coming up early to try and find em is a good idea. Alot of the bean fields these bucks are using are starting to turn already, so you may have to find what ever feed they switch to when the beans starrt to turn. Clover alfalfa and the early falling white oak acorns will be the place to look if the beans let you down.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
agree with several. Bachelor groups are common until early-mid Oct. Yes, Acorns are falling, but just find those areas and hunt them.

Got 49 pic's from my deer camera last week. All pic's were during daylight.

Great thing about early season hunting, deer are very naive!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.