Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would be infavor of the MDC either raising tag prices or require all hunters to purchase a "Hunting Stamp" with the revenue generated going 100% to landowners who open their land to hunting and fishing? Similar to programs found in Montana or Kansas.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put exta space in Poll please ignore or if somebody knows how to delet it that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Such as the "Walk In Hunting Areas"? Sure, why not...:pop:

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Sounds good to me. Of course, I wouldn't open up our ground, but I'm sure many landowners would.

The biggest issue I see is generating enough revenue to make it worth the landowner's time. People that are willing to pay and farmer willing to rent for private ground are already leasing at say $10/acre. So what sort of prices of this habitat stamp will be required to have a landowner open his/her ground?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thinking is that if every hunter had to purchase this "stamp" it would generate a considerable amount of revenue. Say it was only 10$, I am thinking the revenue generated would be well into the millions.

Got be thinking seeing all these polls which list "lack of places to hunt" as the #1 reason people quit hunting. Would love to see something like this in Mo.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Originally posted by Bowhunter4life
i voted yes

i think alot of guys would have to have a very miniscule amount if they were experiencing crop damage
exactly I have talked to several farmers that want every deer shot so some would surely be all for that kind of situation.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have heard a lot MDC employees view this site, maybe this would get the balling rolling on a program of Missouri hunters.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think the main problem with the walk-in hunting in kansas is I have heard that in kansas there are outfitters that are going in and paying a higher price on the better walk-in areas.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
i think this would lead to nothing but another idea of public land dealeo..........get a bunch of land open to public and and you wanna talk about not seeing deer in an area?? or people complaining to many deer are being shot in an area...........just imagine if over half your neighbors did this all around you.............would you complain cause your not seein deer the way you use to:thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking this would spread out the pressure, and open up areas not currently getting hunted. We have private land which backs to public and we see tons of deer so I am not as concerned about this. If it became an issue then maybe each area would need regulations set or the land owner could decide what, when and how much pressure would be allowed.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know one state allows the landowner to regulate what is allowed on their ground, but the MDC would still enforce the rules as they would be the one in charge of the program. Much like they enforce all the different rules on the current conservation areas. So if I landowner wanted to allow small game hunting, but no deer hunting. They would get a certain amount for opening their land, and the MDC would publish a booklet with maps and rules for each area. The MDC would also enforce the rules. (these are just my thoughts, I am sure a lawyer could come up with the exact rules and regs) Either way I think it would really help recruit new hunters, help control the deer herd, and spread the pressure out.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by limbhanger28
I think the main problem with the walk-in hunting in kansas is I have heard that in kansas there are outfitters that are going in and paying a higher price on the better walk-in areas.
That is true some outfitters will pay more to farmers than what the state does. And the walk-in is a yearly deal anyway. I know some ground out by Norton I hunted, the farmer actually would rather lease to the state than to an outfitter. And on top of that, the land-owners still get to plant what-ever they want, etc.

Oh, you don't buy a habitat stamp in KS. At least not for deer, turkey, upland birds, etc. It's all funded through permits and licenses. :cheers:

I think it might be good to try as a pilot program in some areas just to see what the feel of it would be. The walk-in ground would be enforced just like any other conservation area. Set rules and guidelines of what you can and cannot do.
And the KS walk-in ground you can designate what you want hunted on their or not. That's a land-owner choice there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The average price per acre paid in Kansas is less than $3.00 which wouldn't get much if any in Missouri. It might work to some degree but the money would be spent on far fewer acres for a higher price.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Absolutley no way id have a welcome sign to my place for anybody that wanted to come in

1 - 20 of 53 Posts