Opening Day

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Chinook84, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Chinook84

Chinook84 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    I was on here last year some and couldn't get signed on, so re registered.

I've called for people for several years, but when it came time to hunt myself, never did get one.
    Then last spring season, my first spring season after a rough divorce, I went by myself and got a 24 pound gobbler. He came in classic style. I called, he answered, back and forth as he kept coming. Then he saw my jake and came in at a dead run. I had my decoy too close, but was only using a 20 gauge and got him.

Today went out with my dad. There is a gobbler on this one property that just never comes to calls. Dad swears this one was him. He gobbled on the roost, when he came off, I started calling. He'd answer. I was so excited after a year of waiting for the next spring season, my calls were a bit rough (yes, had been practicing), but he answered, just wouldn't come to me. He circled around, so I closed up one side of my blind (very dumb).

My calls started getting better and he SLOWLY started coming in. I figured out the secret to this bird.........I had to keep calling to him. If I quit for a minute, he'd turn and start leaving. At one point, he got close, and I realized I was absolutely shaking, badly, my heart was pounding, legs and hand shaking like a leaf. I couldnt' take that shot. Then he went to the side of my blind where I had closed up. I got it opened up, then realized, I had the 12 gauge (dad got me a belgium browing 12 ga for Christmas) and it's much longer than my 20 ga.

Finally got the gun out and the bird saw me, I took a quick shot and he was only.............only.................maybe 10 yards away. I MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2::soapbox:

He flew off, then gobbled then left. I saw about 8 hens the rest of the day and no more gobbling :banghead:

So thats my opening day. I had a lot of fun, but no turkey. Will try again tomorrow.

Sandy in Mo

2. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    loose that feeling and it is time to stop. i still get excited when the old birds come in but usually i don't come unwound until after everything is said an done. i remember last year in the blind with me dad and two gobblers were coming in. i took one of them and dad never even went for his shotgun for the second, said he was enjoying watching me and listening to me breath. i guess i didn't realize that as my adrenaline started so did deep breathing. like i told him, never want to loose that.

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Couldnt have said it better myself :cheers:

4. Chinook84

Chinook84 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    I don't want to loose it either. I called my mom's first turkey in 3springs ago. She was 65, first time EVER hunting. I called a gobbler in first day, but Istill think he heard our hearts and never gave a good shot. I called in a jake the next day and she got him. She got a hen the following fall.

Spring season is my season. I hear that gobbler answer a call and no clue how high the blood pressure goes, but its up there. I could feel my heart pounding. It's an adrenaline rush, no doubt. When I got my first bird last year, I screamed adn everything out there in the woods and then called anyone that would care and some who didn't!

5. OA3D

OA3D New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Otterville
    In the words of a great man- "Don't give up, don't ever give up!"

I hope I can get that feeling this spring.:confused:

6. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    dang, you already figured out what turkey season is all about, nothing more you need.:cheers:

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Chinook84, I didn't get a bird today but I don't care. I'll be out again tomorrow and the next day and the next day if for nothing more than hearing a few gobbles. I really don't like getting a bird the first day of the season. Too long til I can go again. And screw ups seem to happen more often in turkey hunting than any other hunting I do. I accept that as part of the deal.

Jack