Opening day strategy

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by DougC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Acorns are just now starting to drop. White oak in the yard by the cabin doesn't have many but a few have dropped. I may be able to arrow one from the doorway of the cabin. 20170912_170059.jpg

DougC likes this.
  2. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    strategy - work, then wait for the bugs to leave and the good deer to come to the farm.

3. MOFish20

MOFish20 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Think I'll see how many beers I can drink in the AC while watching some hunting on TV...saving my 'away from home' preference points for a nicer hunting weather weekend.

4. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    After viewing my photos from my game cameras seeing the lack of deer now that the dozer guy blocked their normal trails I think I will set up a ground blind at one of the few crossings left in the gaps between dozer piles of trees. I moved one of my cameras to watch any activity on a ridge line that runs from my neighbors place over to mine. It's the only original trail that is left that is not blocked by downed trees. Breaking out the Ghillie Suit.

5. HomebrewDad

HomebrewDad Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Has there every been a season opener that was actually cooler than normal temps?

6. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    Awfully old to be fathering a child:wave1:

BustinBucks likes this.
  7. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes 2007.

8. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    After checking cams last September and seeing the bucks in a regular pattern, I had planned on hunting opening week. Never had before, preferring to wait for a break in temps. If you have deer patterned, it's a great time to kill one. Unfortunately, I won't be released for heavier lifting until mid October due to shoulder surgery. I'm at 90% now, need to build more muscle, but have been making huge improvements in range of motion and pain-free. Heading to Canada in a few weeks for 2 weeks of waterfowl, then be ready to stick a deer.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  9. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I l
    I like your plan. Get dealt lemons, make lemonade. In a large timber situation, i expect bottlenecks can do nothing but help you. Only thing i dont like is the ghillie. Bad time of year to add layers. Get to the blind and strip down...

10. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    That suit will be fun in the upper 80s.

11. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    On second thought.....probably go with the leafy suit until the weather cools down a bit. I do like to still hunt using my ghillie. Take a few slow steps about 20 yards and lean against a tree for 15 or 20 minutes with the wind in my face.....repeat and rinse.

12. jaoeyp

jaoeyp Member

Sep 24, 2014
    My opening day strategy- first, hunt stand with lifeline; second, soak clothes in permethrin and take bath in Off (chiggers love me, but who can blame 'em); third, enjoy my first sit for the year.

If I get to see some deer or other interesting wildlife, I hope I can get some good pics. I have found I enjoy shooting wildlife almost as much as I enjoy..er.. shooting it. If I get really lucky, maybe I'll get a chance on a good buck.

Seriously, though, the farm I lease has honeysuckle or autumn olive or some invasive species choking the woods so the only strategy I really have is to sit where I can see 'em.

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Gonna be 90 degrees tomorrow....might have to break out the loin cloth. :rockon:

No photo requests!

14. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Please - no hero shots on that article you are writing either!

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I had a change of heart and given the opportunity to come home for the evening I shot my bow. Screwed a couple broadheads on and will shoot one more time and hopefully not be kept out of the tree Saturday evening by work or heat. I will shoot the first deer that comes along that I get the urge to shoot. So I probably wont be shooting, this bow business may be a waste of time. :D

16. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    I'm driving to bourbon from Saint Louis... lots of hunters headed west on 44.

I'm debating pulling my camera cards tonight or waiting until after I hunt this weekend

17. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Only have one oak tree dropping acorns on a 20 acre patch ....Every afternoon there are 3-4 popping nuts ....Find that tree on your place and connect

18. Clucker

Clucker Well-Known Member

The mallard food has been falling here for at least two week,and the tree rats are trearing them up.

19. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
  20. Clucker

Clucker Well-Known Member

Yep.