Opening day strategy

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by DougC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    The red oak in my yard has been raining acorns for weeks, and the white oaks where I hunt are loaded with huge acorns. Trail cams have the deer showing up at all times of the day to forage, although I haven't seen the whites dropping yet. If I was planning on being out early this year, there's no question where I would be spending my time.

2. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    That's interesting ... doesn't seem to be that many acorns this year around here ( Which is fine with me !)

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I've been seeing them drop across the street from my shack and was kicking some out of a ninja trail this weekend, all from reds.

4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    Pinoaks have been dropping here for a couple of weeks in the yard, looks like good crop, but if it gonna be 86 opening day, I think I will wait a bit. besides the corn is still in.

5. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Been seeing some corn getting pulled around here the last few days. Get as much of that $hit gone before the beans all yellow and they switch to beans.

6. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Corn all in yet and Oaks not loaded this year here........

Midmohunter11 likes this.
  7. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    The chinkapin oaks are falling here. I haven't seen much white or black oak acorns.

8. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Corns out in one of my farms I may go there or another just has beans. Acorns drop in the beans so it's usually a good early season spot.

SNA2STL likes this.
  9. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I will be out Friday if my wife holds off having our baby. Even at 87 it may be my only chance for a while so I'm going take what I can get.

SNA2STL, WBF, bluecan and 4 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sitting in my regular stands this early and hoping for a doe to walk by so I can stick her with my home made rig just to break the ice. The bucks should start moving in once October gets here.

SNA2STL likes this.
  11. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I'm going to set on a clover plot between two oak ridges. Mainly just to say I hunted opening weekend.

DougC likes this.
  12. union30

union30 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    union,mo
    It gets back into the 60s I'll go out until then I'll work and spend time with family

13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    will rotate the boys in and out of different blinds this weekend. Hopefully a decent buck or some does show.

14. BowHuntMO

BowHuntMO Member

Jun 24, 2014
    SE Missouri
    Darn hot weather just doesn't want to go away. The first 10 days look above normal temperatures. Oh well, you never know what might walk by . . . . if you can avoid the mosquito's & seed ticks, LOL.

15. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
  16. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    You may not have gotten the rain we did here this summer in the KC area and a little north.

17. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    I figured this would be the week to start for corn, but haven't seen anybody up in the Smithville area yet. On the other hand, beans along 291 are starting to die, and saw some tonight with the leaves already off!

18. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I planted my beans way late and they they're starting to yellow just a bit.

19. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    The spot I want to go to is about 3/4 of a mile walk across a pasture. A couple studs are coming through pretty regular. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. If I can catch the neighbor to ask about coming in the backside it will cut it down to half a quarter which would be a million times better. I'm looking at the weather and I think I'm going to wait till the temp drop early next week but they won't be hitting the alfalfa a whole lot longer like they are now.

DougC likes this.
  20. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    They are hitting my neighbors Bird Feeder, probably use my Shooting House.

oneshot

:D Long as it don't wake the Big Grin.