Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing around with ideas for a small , little business to start when I retire . Not trying to make a fortune . just a little extra cash and something to do . One of the ideas involves knife sharpening . All my daughters have a drawer full of knifes that are dull as butter knifes and every where I go I see unbelivably dull knifes . WHAT IF---- I get me a little van , put a few simple tools in it and I go door to door , offering to expertly sharpen any knife or sizzor (spel?)you have ? Should I just advertise ? How much should I charge ? Do you think it would work ? I know that all of you have guys who understand knifes and don't have this problem but you are not the norm . Please..... don't just tell me I am crazy . Be gentle .

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
I'm gonna ignore the title of your thread & respond anyhow.

I don't think you're crazy. You're right, you're not going to get rich. The guy that sharpens my woodworking cutters, also sharpens knives & scissors. He gets $2/ knife & $4/pair of scissors. I'm looking at his price sheet as we speak.

I believe you're be better off thinking in terms of showing up at a central location & having them bring them to you. Gas is no longer cheap & at the prices I quoted, I doubt you'll gross more than $25 at your best stops going door to door.:cheers:

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Allow me to speak up although Im a man. My sister in law does that very thing youre talking about. Not sure about door to door. Nice venture, Id say, theres always a knife or two that needs sharpening. Great Luck!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
IMO....not door to door. A good product or service or not, those people are annoying. (I know they're just doing their job.)

Why not call on a business that needs sharp knives & scissors: florists, restaurants, upholstering places, grocery stores/meat shops etc. They may already have someone to do that, but doesn't mean you wouldn't have a chance at it! I don't know how often they would have them sharpened, but they may shave money having things sharpened rather than tossed.

If you're wanting to market to the woman in her home, you may be ok.....just walk by my door. Probably just my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I read this and I thought oh good lord he's looking for another woman again. I think Pinwheel has the right idea. You might go to gun shows or other activities and offer your service. I do know that there is a company that drives around Nebraska and stops at restaurants and Hospitals and sharpens their cutting utensils but I would think you would have to be careful about the restaurants someone might cut their finger off.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
This might be bigger than ya want,but resturants will also rent knives or have a contract where they are picked up once a week and exchanged for sharpend ones.The dull ones are collected and sharpend,then next week the cycle starts over.

·
Registered
69,765 Posts
I couldn't help myself to open up this thread because of the title....

How about talking to your local grocery store and see if you could advertise with them a set day for the local shoppers to bring in their knives and scissors to be sharpened. You could set up in front with a small banner and let the business come to you. The gals have to do their shopping there anyway and you could get the job done while they are inside. Just have a claim ticket for them to fill out. A little kick back for the store owner would be nice too.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
We have two or three people in vans come by the barbershop a couple of times a year wanting to sharpen are shears. I haven't found one thats any good yet, but there are a couple local guys that are really good that do it out of their homes. I guess my point is, that if you're any good, people will come to you. It always seems like the traveling guys catch us at a bad time. Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
[rquote=1484656&tid=103764&author=Mailman]I couldn't help myself to open up this thread because of the title....

How about talking to your local grocery store and see if you could advertise with them a set day for the local shoppers to bring in their knives and scissors to be sharpened. You could set up in front with a small banner and let the business come to you. The gals have to do their shopping there anyway and you could get the job done while they are inside. Just have a claim ticket for them to fill out. A little kick back for the store owner would be nice too.[/rquote]

I think this is the best idea so far.... just not a fan of door to door salesmen. :2thumbsup:

·
PURE KILLER
38,018 Posts
[rquote=1484667&tid=103764&author=90acres]Can you stop by my house? I am terrible at sharpening knives and such.[/rquote] you would get more than 25 if you stopped by my house:hysterical:i give up on trying to keep the wifes knives sharp.she abuses them to much:whistle:

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
I'd say no on the door to door as well. Maybe you could do house calls if someone requested for you to come out.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
[rquote=1484680&tid=103764&author=coyotehunter][rquote=1484667&tid=103764&author=90acres]Can you stop by my house? I am terrible at sharpening knives and such.[/rquote] you would get more than 25 if you stopped by my house:hysterical:i give up on trying to keep the wifes knives sharp.she abuses them to much:whistle:[/rquote]
Tell her to wash them by hand instead of putting them in the dishwasher. A dishwasher, for whatever reason, is not good on knives.

I hope you have a good sharpener in mind for this. If not, I'll recommend a Tormek.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mrs.2many here. I am a cosmetologist who works at an exclusive salon in St. Charles County. I have a very expensive pair of shears for work & I also hunt. I know that my cutting shears have to be specially honed by way of water. Some knife blades may require this method. If you are willing to make that investment and travel it may be worth it. The man that comes to our salon charges 15.00 for cutting shears and 7.00 for cuticle nippers. My cutting shears are from Japan and I have to send them back to the manufacturer to have them honed since the guy that comes to the salon does not have that technology in his van. If you want to spend the time and money to acquire this technology it may be beneficial to your business, otherwise you may be limited since most people seem to hone their own knives unless you get lucky and find some lazies. Good luck in your endeavor:cheers:.

·
13,386 Posts
there is a guy that pulls a trailer up to each Dierberg store in the St Louis area a couple of times each year in the warmer months and here is his fee schedule. at least for last summer

Home > About Us > Services > Knife Sharpening
Knife Sharpening
knife sharpening sparks

Have your knives, scissors or pinking shears sharpened while you shop! It's easy and convenient! Check out our knife sharpening schedule, or stop by your favorite Dierbergs store for more information on pricing availability.

o Scissors -- $4.75 each
o Paring Knives -- $2 each
o 4" to 8" Knives -- $3 each
o 8" to 12" Knives -- $3.50 each
o Cleavers -- $4 each
o Hunting/Fillet Knives -- $3 each
o Pocket Knives -- $2 each
o Hatchet -- $4.50 each
o Axes -- $5.50 per bit
o Grass Shears -- $4 each
o Rotary Mower Blade -- $7.50 each (must be off mower)
o Pruning Shears -- $4 each (bypass only)
o Lopping Shears -- $4.75 each
o Hedge Shears -- $5 each
o Machetes -- $5 each

Basic price list $2 - $7.50 (subject to change). Same-day service in most cases.

Hope that helps

SKD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts