Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats what I have to buy a scope for my new Remington 750 woodmaster. I've had it with Simmons,Bushness,Tasco and Weaver. So what are my choices ? It has to take some knocks hold poi and be sharp enough to shoot those last few minutes before dark. Don't say save and get a leupold Imput appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Bear what power are you looking for? Fixed or variable? This will help in determining what you can get for your money.

Jack

·
just a no body
15,868 Posts
you know actually leaupold sells a dandy 3X9X 40 for $199 at Wal-Mart

I dont have one because my Simmons 44 mag serves me well but Mobiggerbucks has one on his pre 64 winchester 30-06 as does Mrs Mobiggie on her Browning 308 & Igor on hs Ruger 30-06 & his Mrs on her Savage 243..for the $$ I'd say they are as good as they get..might save a little longer a go for it I dont think you'd be sorry

·
Registered
754 Posts
I bought a Tasco world class 1.5X5 for my .35 Remington years ago for around $85 and it's been very reliable. Clear image, keeps the zero year after year, and is tough. Check them out.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
those leoupold rifelman scopes that beanpile is talking about are pretty nice,
he screwed up on one thing though mine is a vx2.
if you are an a budget you should seriousy consider a swift, i put one on
my varmit rifle and have been very impressed with it.
it is a 6 x 18 44mm and off of the top of my head i think it cost 180.00.
very clear optics holds zero well. the only gripe i have about it is
the 1/4 clicks are not very precise.they have a web site, the reason you
have probably not heard of them is that they don't advertise, hence the price.
check them out you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
bear, i'm a little surprised at the weaver comment as they tend to put out decent glass. that being said i also would second the swift. another is sightron and it would be a tad better but i don't know how many they have at that price range. a bushnell 3200 elite can be had at that price if you limit your choice to a 3x9x40. you will love the raingaurd feature. you really need to state what you want as far as magnification goes so we can wittle down the selection. Mueller makes a afordable scope with good glass and holds it's P.O.I. and nikons lower line can be had as well near that price.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,357 Posts
Check out the Burris line of scopes too. I just got one on my Remington 700 and it works great! I wish I would have gotten one of these years ago.

By the way, the model I have is the Fullfield II. Came with a pair of binoculars too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You should check out Sightron scopes. They have a lifetime warranty and are a very nice scope. The 3x9 SI is $130 and the SII is $200 @ www.grafs.com The Sightron web site is www.sightron.com I shot several of these scopes the last time I shot p-dogs in South Dakota and they were really nice scopes. I shot the SII, but I was told the SI was a very good scope also.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I have 3 Nikon prostaff 3-9x40's, for 149 apiece....they take magnum recoil real good!!! Buy one, you won't be sorry, I promise!!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking I think I will buy a Nikon Buckmaster 167.00 at Midsouth However the pro staff is a little less 121.oo What is the difference between the models ? Thanks for all the imput.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Not sure on the model differences Bear....I would assume that Buckmasters gets a cut of that 167 bucks, so I would personally buy the prostaff....lol. If I can't tear one up, it's gotta be good!!!

·
just a no body
15,868 Posts
a buddy has a NIKON on his BAR 300 Win Mag..nice scope real clear too..I dont think you could go wrong with one

but heck I still have an old Simmons 44 Mag on mine so what do I know:neuspeuter: cant replace it till it breaks

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i don't know for sure but usualy price will reflect optics quality. one might be fully multi coated and the other might be just multi coated. who knows, but nikon doesn't put out junk from what i've seen so i think you'll be alright :cheers:

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the cheap category, Tasco is a good value.
I like anything Leupold.
The "pro's" (gun magazine) reviews have a lot of good things to say about the Nikon Monarch series of optics. They might be a little over your price range, but worth a look.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Our local gunshop owner told me if I wasn't going to spend 300+ on a scope, to buy the Nikon Prostaff....I just can't say enough good about them for the money!!! His advise was top notch...I have a $550 Nikon Titanium on my 25-06, and I can't tell ya that it's any better glass than the 150 dollar Prostaff!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,569 Posts
I've got a buckmaster on an older rifle I have and its been a dandy.. I'd recommend it for the price.

venatic.. I just bought a fullfield II and I love that scope!

I have heard good things about sightron too. I would think all these scopes that are in the 150-200 range are going to be good choices. Midwayusa.com sells sightrons I think.. checkem out!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311
I have 3 Nikon prostaff 3-9x40's, for 149 apiece....they take magnum recoil real good!!! Buy one, you won't be sorry, I promise!!!!
I agree 100% with fireman. I have 4 or 5 Nikon scopes and for the money, they are excellent. Also, I have bought several of my Pro-staff scopes, new, on ebay for around $100.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.