Online Youth Turkey tags?

Discussion in 'Youth Hunts & Photos' started by MOFish20, Mar 28, 2017.

1. MOFish20

MOFish20 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Is there any way to purchase a tag for my 9yr old online? Can't seem to find a way to do it. he's not hunter ed certified yet, he'll be sitting with me in a blind. Already purchased my tags so I'm good on that end.
    Thanks for any help.

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Does he already have a conservation number from a previous deer or turkey tag? If so just go to the permit section online and click on buy permit. Then I think you can select the person by conservation number. That is how I got Gage's online and he is also youth/non hunters ed certified

3. Yahoo

Yahoo Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Yeah first time for both of mine I went to Busch wildlife since it's close and got them a tag giving them a number. Now I can get their tags on line. I don't know how else to do it but in person somewhere the first time.

4. MOFish20

Oct 12, 2010
    Right on guys. We will hit Wally World tomorrow and do some snack shopping while we are at it. This'll be his first time being on his own hunt, usually just tagging along with me. Thanks!

5. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    Pretty easy to do online. When you go to the MDC site and click on "purchase permits" (or whatever it says), be sure to click the "new customer" link on the right hand side of the screen. You will need to fill out the same info that Walmarks or myself would have to ask you if you showed up at our store.
    If you are wanting to get him entered into the MDC system without using his social security # (I have never recommended this), you will need to visit an MDC office to get his first tags and then you'll need to make sure you keep track of his conservation #

6. MOFish20

Oct 12, 2010
    thanks Johnny, i'll give that a try. :cheers: Those new lures look awesome, can't wait for the river to drop and clear up to give them a whirl.

worked like a charm, appreciate the tip.

7. rcg

rcg Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Does a youth really need a conversation number as long as they are youth hunting? Can't you get youth tags online anytime (first, second, whatever time your are getting them) just by using the "new customer" tab each time without entering a social or conservation number? Obviously the system won't remember you and you have to enter all the pertinent information each time (kids age, address, height, weight, etc.) but I don't think there is any absolute need to go to a conservation office to get a youth tag the first or anytime. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

8. MOFish20

Oct 12, 2010
    i just entered his SS# along with his other info and it appears to have created a Cons # for him. His first permit and I did it online.

I was thinking this weekend was the hunt so I was trying to get all my ducks in a row ASAP. Realized about an hour ago i was jumping a bit ahead of myself, but at least I'll have time to get the blind set up this weekend and all the gear lined up with less of a rush thankfully.

9. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Good deal. Glad you figured out the season before you telechecked his bird. :D

10. MOFish20

Oct 12, 2010
    Yes, my goal of instilling good ethics and woodsmanship would be off to a poor start. He's really gonna be in for it when he realizes there's no wifi down in the bottoms. ;)

11. Good luck! Taking my boy for his first hunt that he is the shooter in a couple weeks as well!:cheers:

12. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.

You are correct, that you do not need to go to the MDC office to purchase a tag without using an SSN. The ability for us to sell a new/youth hunter a tag, from our store, without using a number of any kind is new and I'm still not used to having that ability....... but I still recommend using the SSN cause it will save a lot of trouble down the road (it's a lot easier to remember the SSN than it is the Conservation number).

As for clicking the "new customer" tab every year...... that is never a good idea and will cause your kid a lot of problems at some point. Every time you use that tab your kid will be issued a new conservation number and at some point he/she will have a hunter safety certification number attached to 1 of their numbers. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen a customer using the wrong conservation number while trying to purchase their last minute deer tags and the MDC's system not be able to verify that they're hunter safety certified.
    Friday night, before rifle opener, us permit vendors are in need of something to laugh about though :D