Onions in garden

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by Deadeye, May 28, 2009.

1. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Gasconade County
    Was just wondering what everyone does with upkeep on your onions to get a good big onion. I've talked to some people that say to lay them over at the ground that that will make a big onion, some say cut them off about 6-8" above ground so that all growth goes to undergound growth, some say do nothing except pinch seed heads at top off, some say pull dirt away from bulb, and some say pull dirt up around bulb. I just don't know what to do. Onions here last year didn't amount to nuthin', just stalks. Would like to correct that this year. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    I always plant the onion plants (the kind you buy in a bundle) not the onion sets (the kind you but by the pound). They always make better/bigger onions for me. Don't plant them too close together they need plenty of room to grow where they ate not touching each other when they mature. If you plant them close together, harvest every other one to eat for green onions. I grew onions last year that were nearly 4 inches in diameter. I don't do anything to mine except to cultivate them to keep the ground from packing and keep all the weeds out of them, also remove the seed pods from them when they form. Don't harvest them until the tops start breaking over by themselves.

3. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Gasconade County
    Thanks Grumpy, I knew not to harvest till they start breaking. It's been 15 years since we had really good onions and that was when my Grandpa was still alive and tended to the garden every day. I was too young at that time to really WANT to pay attention to little things like that. Now, I want to know as much as I can. I did pinch off all the seed pods a while ago and getting ready to pull weeds out of them now. I think next year though I will buy plants rather than bulbs, but I did still plant these bulbs about 6 to 8 inches apart, so there should be plenty room for underground growth. Thank you though sir. :)

4. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    I been keepin an eye on this cause mine dont do real well either

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

6-8 inches apart is waaaay to far apart IMHO. I plant bulbs much cheaper than sets. I plant them 1" apart and pull every other to eat as green onions. I'll dig and store them the last week of June to use later in July and August in salsa and spaghetti sauce when I can. If I wanted storage onions I would start them from seed in Feb or so and transplant them the last week of March.

Can't wait for the cucumbers to get going so I can have some onions, cukes and vinegar.:dancin: