One shot ...One kill

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by TOBRYAN, Apr 26, 2006.

1. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Wacked my first Turkey with a bow yesterday.
    22lbs, 10inch beard and 1inche spurs.
    15 yard shot through the side with a 100gr muzzy.

2. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Another pic of the Turk...

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    TOBRYAN, excellent job!!:eek: Congratulations!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jack

4. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    And now the rest of the story...
    Sunday, helped the neighbor burn about 80 acres of CRP...lots of fun...had a few too many cool ones and a few too many margaritas and fried fish Sunday night. Monday morning came early...I grabbed my bow and went to one of my blinds
    (feeling not too well!!!). I said I believe I can draw the bow one time,,not much gobbling, I called ...nothing..I went back to the house. Neighbor had a nice Turkey fry at lunch,their group of 10 killed 2 so we have fried turkey, fried potatoes and for me ...water.
    Caught some fish later Monday and guess what had fried fish and tators again....their goes the cholesterol....
    Yesterday, got up and felt like a million bucks...went to my old sunflower field in my other blind. It was windy and hear a few gobbles..guess where ...at my other blind,,,oh well, did a few tree calls and few yelps and had a protein bar...(eating healty....).
    About 730 heard a gobble to the north, so I let out a few yelps and lots of loud purrs...did I say it was windy!!
    15 minutes later, I see crows diving and there he is 250yds away coming toward me, he closes the distance to about 40 and then jumps into the brush.....what gives??? then I look to my left here is a hen with a gobbler in tow about 40 yards to my left..she walks stops ,hes right behind her, struts...etc.
    Here comes the hen into my decoys (2hens ,1 jake). I get the bow up..here is the hen..where is the gobbler, he took a 90 degree turn and gobbled one more time and thats it..hes gone.

I was very frustrated, I hadnt over called...so I went out and took the jake and one hen decoy down.
    20 minutes later I see a hen to the north coming this way..I had been calling every 10minutes or so...purrs, etc..very light.
    Well I turn my head back straight ahead and a gobbler with in half strut right next to my hen.
    I pulled the bow back (and said to my self..get the anchor right, shoot high on his back, etc.) I raised up to shoot through the opening and let her fly. Went right through his side ,he jumped and flew about 10 yards and went down over the hill. I found my arrow with bright red blood, walked down over the hill and there he was......It great morning!!
    :banana:

5. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

:wink4: Congratulations. Ya even got him without a hangover.
    Great story TOBRYAN

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Awsome tobryan!! Thats the first bowkill I've heard of this year yet!

7. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Alright sounds awesome TO!
    Bird with a bow---sweeeet!
    :cheers::cheers:

8. rmr

rmr New Member

Way to Go OBryan, Great Story and pics.
    I dont think I have the nerve to go with a bow
    Ive lost to many arrows in the fall bow hunting shooting at them.
    congrats on a great accomplishment :cheers:

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    great story, great pics.. way to go :cheers:

10. mikeak

mikeak Member

way to go!!!
    Mike

11. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Congrats.... :cheers:

12. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    great story.....hats off to you folks that get a bird with a bow. Its hard enough with a gun.

13. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    awesome.........i gotta kill one with a bow some year but just never have the guts!

14. grimreaper8

grimreaper8 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
  15. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Awesome!!!! Congrats on sticking a bird!!!!!:cheers: :cheers::cheers:

16. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

:cheers::cheers: congrats Ive been out monday and tuesdy with the bow and cant get them still waiting on my first with the ol'bow

17. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Way to go! The only way that story could have been topped is if you would have gotten it on Monday not feeling well.

18. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Whew!

With a bow! Way to step it up a notch! Nice job and nice bird! :cheers:

Parker

19. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Not to take anything away from getting em with a gun. But it was like the adrenaline of the first time with a shotgun,,at my age I was truly excited!!.
    I tried last year and nothing..so I blasted one with the 10gauge.
    This year Im taking the youngins, women and trying for number 2 with the bow... and eating more fried foods..before I get back to marathon training and lifting....