One Shot - High Shoulder

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by DADAKOTA, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Been watching a lot of hunting shows and see the guys shoot a high shoulder shot. Deer drops in its tracks. Are these guys taking a spine shot or what are they actually aiming for and hitting.

2. I see that alot to i always figured there was a nerve in there that they are hitting

3. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I've been told that they're trying to break both shoulders, so the deer can't run away.

4. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Don't even open that door my friend!! Shoot for the vitals and let the rest of it go. I'm betting a paycheck that a lot of those shots you're referring to, were not intentional.

The quickest and probably most humane shot is to center punch the vitals. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I'm standing my ground.

MoFire

5. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    buck i stuck this year jumped string on me. first time i have had that happen in awhile. hit high, dropped him in his tracks. spined him and then he had the nerve to roll over on my arrow:mad2: which didn't matter anyway because when i put the second one thru him i shot the arrow remaining in him in half. yep, i'm just that good:rof2:

6. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Go for the lungs and you will never have to track very far, regardless of where the "pros" shoot.

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I see it so often I'd like to know what they are shooting at. I am talking with a rifle and not a bow.

Winger is a known killa. Can't win a decoy, but a killa I tell ya.:cheers:

8. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Both shoulder blades and yes, it is intentional. Obviously, this is for rifle, not archery.

9. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Could it be they are missing?:D:claphands:

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1868923&tid=130105&author=Mofireman39]Don't even open that door my friend!! Shoot for the vitals and let the rest of it go. I'm betting a paycheck that a lot of those shots you're referring to, were not intentional.

The quickest and probably most humane shot is to center punch the vitals. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I'm standing my ground.

MoFire[/rquote]

Center mass gets both lungs & they typically pile up within 100 yds. That's the shot I want every time I let fly.:cheers:

11. so they hit both sholders but the back legs drop from under them?

12. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1868938&tid=130105&author=pinwheel][rquote=1868923&tid=130105&author=Mofireman39]Don't even open that door my friend!! Shoot for the vitals and let the rest of it go. I'm betting a paycheck that a lot of those shots you're referring to, were not intentional.

MoFire[/rquote]

Center mass gets both lungs & they typically pile up within 100 yds. That's the shot I want every time I let fly.:cheers:[/rquote]

...or squeeze trigger for that matter.:cheers::pop:

13. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Most high shoulder shots I have seen on TV, they simply drop like a rock.

I personally aim for the heart.

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    oh well if you are talking with a rifle then yeah. i shoot for about 3 inches higher than where i used to. used to tuck the bullet tight behind the shoulder. move up 3'' and just put them down. i do it with a .243 with a bullet that most pros around would think is unethical. furthest i had to track on is the distance between the belly and the ground shooting that way. not sure what is up there that does it, but it is lights out. found the spot by accident 6 or 7 years ago. have taken 4 deer like that now before i stopped rifle hunting.

15. mathewsshooter89

mathewsshooter89 Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Osage County, Mo
    Shoulder shots are very effective with the gun. They either drop or does the run were he has no movement in the front legs.

16. [rquote=1868947&tid=130105&author=winger]oh well if you are talking with a rifle then yeah. i shoot for about 3 inches higher than where i used to. used to tuck the bullet tight behind the shoulder. move up 3'' and just put them down. i do it with a .243 with a bullet that most pros around would think is unethical. furthest i had to track on is the distance between the belly and the ground shooting that way. not sure what is up there that does it, but it is lights out. found the spot by accident 6 or 7 years ago. have taken 4 deer like that now before i stopped rifle hunting. [/rquote]I like the idea i think ill give it a shot this rifle season

17. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    [rquote=1868947&tid=130105&author=winger]oh well if you are talking with a rifle then yeah. i shoot for about 3 inches higher than where i used to. used to tuck the bullet tight behind the shoulder. move up 3'' and just put them down. i do it with a .243 with a bullet that most pros around would think is unethical. furthest i had to track on is the distance between the belly and the ground shooting that way. not sure what is up there that does it, but it is lights out. found the spot by accident 6 or 7 years ago. have taken 4 deer like that now before i stopped rifle hunting. [/rquote]

So where do you place the cross hairs?

18. about 3inches above the heart i would imagine

19. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1868949&tid=130105&author=mathewsshooter89]Shoulder shots are very effective with the gun. They either drop or does the run were he has no movement in the front legs. [/rquote]

My other post I was talkin bow. If he's big & wanna make sure he goes nowhere, then yeah, both shoulders & he's not going anywhere. Not much meat in the shoulders anyhow.

20. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Anyone got a deer pic and can show me the spot?