5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Working animal Smile Jaw Vehicle

Reactions: remington2225

· Part-time malcontent
8,459 Posts
Guess I'll poop on the party:

"Status
Rare and declining due to water pollution, habitat loss, reduction of egg-laying sites, and overharvesting. Imperiled in Missouri, possibly vulnerable globally. Missouri and federal law prohibits the importation, transportation, sale, purchase, taking, or possession of animals on the State or Federal lists. If fishing, check your limb lines and trotlines daily; if you catch one of these rare turtles you must release it unharmed."

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/alligator-snapping-turtle

· Registered
20,364 Posts
Wasn't for sure if the turtle in the pic was identified as a Alligator Snapping Turtle Vs Snapping Turtle... hmmm. Might be why he chose that particular pose?

· Part-time malcontent
8,459 Posts
For certain, that is an Alligator Snapping Turtle on the cooler. That may be a young Alligator or a Common Snapping Turtle on the back of the big one.

· Registered
20,364 Posts

· Registered
20,364 Posts
Supposedly your not supposed to be able to see the eyes on a Alligator Snapping Turtle while looking down from directly above the Snapper.

Hey Camo Ninja can you call your buddy and ask him if he was able to see the that bigger turtles eyes why he was posing for the pic ?? And LOOK!!!...!! there's a lill Camo Ninja sized one too!!!!

· Quack
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For certain, that is an Alligator Snapping Turtle on the cooler. That may be a young Alligator or a Common Snapping Turtle on the back of the big one.
I was thinking the opposite

· Quack
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If that pic is from Missouri, I'm thinking the mdc might be visiting that good ol boy.
Wouldn't be the first time MDC has called me over a picture I posted on here. Doubt it'll be the last either

· Part-time malcontent
8,459 Posts
Hey Jeff! Is there other identification for snappers other than the high ridges down the center of the back? I honestly don't know ...

https://cdn.coverstand.com/39199/588318/iphonejpg/960/20755780715211260771721209700-00001.jpg
There are a few thing different about their shell, would have to look it up. But from that picture just sheer size alone tells me that an alligator snapper. That thing clearly weighs 75 to 100 pounds or more, and I think a common snapper generally maxes out about 30 to 35 pounds. Alligators also have a very large head proportionate to the rest of their body.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.