Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have found that my 22-250 has a problem and i am stuck with what it is. i reload my own for the rifle. i noticed that after firing the rifle the casing has a small ring around the base of the neck. you can just barely see it and when you drag a finger nail over it you can barely feel a small ridge. i am showing no signs of pressure from the casing or the primer and i am a full grain under max on the load. i fired a factory round and got the same results. any ideas? i am calling the manufacurer to see if i can send it in. my only guess is that the surface needs to be polished a little.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a slight imperfection in the barrell. If your neck and seat are to spec and arent getting case pressure problems, I would say its the barrel. Wont cause any problems, but the cases that are flawed may end up cracking at the neck after reloading. JMO

I'd call them and see if they will inspect/fix it.:cheers:

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
Can you post a pic or two? That would help a lot, but it sounds like a rifle problem, not ammo. I sometimes leave a little bit of the neck unsized, it helps center the case in the chamber, but it doesn't sound like that
I wonder if the chamber was cut too deep? Here's an idea, take a paper clip and bend a hook in it, and see if it can catch, down in the case, around the head. If so, it's a headspace problem, and they should fix it under warranty, OR, you can just partial size your cases to fit the chamber, as is, and go with it. Oh yes, sharpen the hook on the paper clip, to see if it catches in the case.
One other thing, you've NEVER, EVER, fired handloads in it, got it? When talking to a warranty guy, you've never fired a handload in your life.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
glennasher, headspace was my thought it sounds like he is pushing the case in to tight that was why the questions. If it is a Savage the lock nut may be loose but he didn't say anything about accuracy.

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
He just bought a new Howa this spring, I'm thinking that's the rifle he's talking about here, John. Howas usually give no trouble at all, but they usually have tight chambers, too. That's why this is sort of odd......

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's the howa that is giving me the problem. it doesn't appear to be a head space problem. glenn i tired the paper clip after you suggested it and it didn't catch. as far as the bolt it closes with no problems whatsoever, very easy to close and very easy to open. you can put a round in with ease and take it out with no problems. the small ring does not show up until it is fired. i am trying to get a pic to come out to show but everyone i have taken the small ring is so light that you can't see it in the pic. i had not problems with accuracy whatsoever and that is another thing that leads me to believe that head space is not the problem. i am hoping it is just a rough chamber that needs a little bit of polishing. i will continue to try to get a pic of it.

the howa was new when i purchased it.

it has now had around 450 rounds through it.

and as far as anyone knows besides the fact i put it on the internet, i have never shot a reload out of the rifle. thanks glenn, i would never have thought about that.

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
If that's the case, I'd partial-size when loading, and forget about it. If you're not going to have any casehead separations, and loading will fix it, just go with the flow. Accuracy isn't effected, right? Safety doesn't appear to be a problem, either, it's likely just an anomaly in the chamber cutting. It might make a buyer unhappy later on, if and when you sell it, but by that time, it's likely to need a new pipe anyway. That would cure it:D, if it's a real problem. Just clean it really well, and see if that helps, too. Heck, it might be a buildup of powder fouling or something easy to attend to.:cheers:

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Agreed, with the bolt working like it should looks like a chamber issue and all ammunition fire forms to the chamber anyway, so unless you have more than 1 gun chambered in this caliber, neck sizing would be ok however if you have another gun with this caliber I would be very carefull with the cases. I mark the back of the cases that go thru my .223 so I don't get them confued with the wifes. Hope this wasn't wasted info, I don't know how much you know about reloading I meant NO offence.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no offense taken at all big john, if i knew it all i wouldn't have asked.:D i know people on here have a lot more knowledge than i and i appreciate you all sharing. i found contact info to contact one of the gunsmiths that do warranty work for them so i will be contacting them monday. i am about sure that it is probably and imperfection with the chamber so i am sending it back in, i don't like the fact that it causes that small ridge in the neck. seems to me that it would make it to easy to seperate there.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
hey wingman let me know if you send it in for waranty work and where you end up sending it. had a fellow on another forum have a problem with a howa and he was wondering what his options for repair was too. how's the top half of that rifle doing?

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jim, just got off the phone with walker arms who does the warranty work for howa, explained the problem and they said to send it in and they would get her fixed. i will send the contact info to you.

as for the top half of the rifle, i am very impressed to say the least as were the other two who shot it. mueller has earned by business and as soon as the funds become available for the .204 it will be wearing a mueller also. it's definately in the same class as the weavers and the bushnell elites. i hated putting it down to cool and picking up the other ones. thanks for the heads up on them, i know of two more people who will own them now.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
they have a new scope coming out in a couple of weeks for the rimfire bunch, it is a 4-16x44 and is called a APV (All Purpose Variable) with A.O. that focuses down to 10 yds i beleive. it will have a fine cross hair recticle (wire not etched on this one) and boast some bright glass. introductery price is going to be under 100.00 and i will be buying one for my .17hmr. it is centerfire rated but would not be suited for magnum calibers due to the wire recticle however 30.06 and down should be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.