Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69,767 Posts
Common sense tells me NO.

A "D" sized battery is 1.5 volts and I believe that the D-40 takes 6 of them which will equal to 9 volts. A twelve volt RV/Boat battery would blow the circuits IMO....but like I said....I'm using what common sense I have left.:shrug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was thinking . but it says that it is compatible with there solar panel and it is 12 volts

·
5,092 Posts
i don't know the answer but i think the solar panel for the d-40 isn't the same as what is used on other moultrie products. it cost something like 75 bucks. it has an internal battery that the camera uses until depleted then it used the d cell batteries in the camera. when they originally came out with the camera they didn't even have a external power source available for the unit. (just the hole to plug it in) so i'd say hooking it up to the same voltage as the other units would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
[rquote=1496833&tid=104473&author=90acres]Yes it will work. I use a regular car battery to power my D-40.[/rquote]

How? How long does it last? This could be a life saver.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,074 Posts
I bought a plug and adapter from Radio Shack, had my own speaker wire and alligator clips. It will last as long as your battery, depending on how good your battery holds a charge. I'm using an old battery so life expectancy isn't as long as it could be, but it's been out since August and I just brought it home last week. I usually don't leave it out much after season, but I may this year because it won't eat batteries.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks 90 acres i assume you can go to radio shack and buy the plug for the external power source
thanks pat

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,074 Posts
Yep, I took my camera with me to make sure I got the right plug, I think the two items cost me $10.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As I replied to on another thread about the same question:

"I have gotten all my connectors from Radio Hack as well. I used the Enercell N connector (90 degree plug) and the Enercell adapter. The N connector plugs into the adapter which has short wire leads that I lengthened by 6 feet. I attached quick disconnect spade terminals to the ends and plug into a 12V 7aH battery typically used for an UPS....works perfectly."

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,074 Posts
[rquote=1496852&tid=104473&author=buckwacker181]I don't know why you would need to. Mine last months on a set of new batteries.[/rquote]

Yours might, mine doesn't. Mine would probably last maybe 3 months during warm weather, less than 3 weeks when it's cold weather. If I put only 3 sets of batteries in it in a year, that's $30. I've had my camera for 4 years, that's at least $120 in batteries, not to mention the inconvenience of batteries going dead and missing out on pictures. Now I put it out and don't worry.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
[rquote=1496852&tid=104473&author=buckwacker181]I don't know why you would need to. Mine last months on a set of new batteries.[/rquote]

I get 2 months out of a set when its warm, I would hate to see how bad it is when its cold.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
[rquote=1496839&tid=104473&author=90acres]I bought a plug and adapter from Radio Shack, had my own speaker wire and alligator clips. It will last as long as your battery, depending on how good your battery holds a charge. I'm using an old battery so life expectancy isn't as long as it could be, but it's been out since August and I just brought it home last week. I usually don't leave it out much after season, but I may this year because it won't eat batteries.[/rquote]

Do you remember what size that plug is? I don't have a radio shack close at all:soapbox:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tompson sku #'s are 40293 15373 for the adaptaplug socket
and 40293 70963 for the enercell n plug

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,074 Posts
[rquote=1501201&tid=104473&author=hodge] tompson sku #'s are 40293 15373 for the adaptaplug socket
and 40293 70963 for the enercell n plug[/rquote]

Yep:2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts