Omni nock vs half moon

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by kc704, Nov 29, 2017.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I borrowed my Dad’s xbow for a hunt this year and decided to go ahead and purchase new bolts for it because it had old aluminum bolts. I got Victory XBolts with the half moon nock for it. Since then I’ve blown up the string, which I believe is due to the age of the string. I then took advantage of the Black Friday sales and purchased my own xbow, a Ten Point Invader G3. The bolts are the same length, but the nock is different and the new bow says to use Omni nock bolts. None of the reviews or online info can tell me why one is better than the other or if one won’t work in my xbow. I’ve only found that you can load them incorrectly and that goes for either nock style. So, anyone see an issue with using either style of nock with my xbow?
    Dealb likes this.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I wouldn't think that they would recommend one over the other without a reason.

3. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    I contacted 10 point regarding the difference and was told to only use Omni nock as the other nocks do not line up correctly on the string
  4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Might have to do with how deep the rail channel is . I bet buckstop can tell us .
  5. radioactive

Jan 25, 2012
    yep, or @vixenmaster . I wanted to buy some lighted nocks a couple years ago, but couldn't find any in the omni nock configuration
  6. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Search for "omni brite" Arlen; but they're pricey.
  7. radioactive

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks :cheers: This was 2-3 years ago when I was looking and very few options then. Some were adapting other lighted nocks, but they didn't fit inside the shaft correctly. Ten Point now has a pack of 3 red and 3 green Omni-brite nocks for $40, or a 3 pack of arrows/bolts for about $60. Battery life is only 8 hours as compared to others like Nocturnal's 20 hour battery
  8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I talked with Barb Terry from TP about this awhile back (so things could have changed) she basically told me that I should stick with the components that came with the bow. In my case the TP bow was the phantom model and it had the nocks without the half moon. I remember there being some discussion when TP went to these Omni nocks that TP would only warranty bows that were shot with the Omni nocks. It's been awhile but here's what I have as far as Barbs contact info:

330.628.9245 Ext. 112
  9. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    So just swap out the nocks and I should be good to go?
    Vector likes this.
  10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Did you call Tenpoint????
  11. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Not since I talked to them about my string dampener yesterday. But I will before I get any new nocks.
    WBF likes this.
  12. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    That's right but I've always used Gold Tip with Half Moon and shoot circles around Omni. This for last 15 years.

Oh use 125gr. Spitfire Heads and I killed 4 Deer with the last Bolt and Head.

:DThe Big Grin seen Full Moon. :moon:
  13. Bubba75

Bubba75 Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I have a Tenpoint RDX Nitro it recommended omi nocks the guy at store I bought it from said use capture nocks . I haven’t had any trouble. My dad bought a Horton and shot a omi nocks thru it and flipped the string off and the bolt broke . He only uses capture nocks now and hasn’t had any issues. Hope this helps
  14. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Active Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Read between the lines here, Ten Pt went to their Omni nocks to force ppl. into using only their's or void warranty. Sometimes those half moons will slip forward while carrying the crossbow front end down. I tend to avoid buying crossbows that force me into their money making exploits. Ppl. have favorite arrows also i like Blk Eagles prefer zombies for the stiff spine. I use Firenocks Q's fits my string dia. very well without being too tight on serving. If a serving is too thick then an Omni will not fit well with its narrow groove. Its all about the string/serving dia.
  15. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yes, switch the nocks. Keeps you from voiding the warranty.

Part of buying a Tenpoint. Their warranty, you want it, their rules.

They are awesome for accuracy too, so why nock. :)
    WBF likes this.