Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually started hunting deer 51 years ago. Never hear of a tree stand then. We hunted on foot through the rough and leafy hardwoood forrest in an area with few deer(Iron co.)
I was just wondering if any of you old times would share some secrets of their succes and dispell any myths that are widespread among whitetail hunters. Any beliefs you hold to about whitetail hunting then and today.
Let me start off; My cousin who farmed did not have any

\deer bilogical knowdege . He never read a hunting magazine. He used to tell me he didn't like to shoot the little red deer he saw in summer. But, really liked to take the big old grey bucks he saw in November. He wasn't knowelage like today's hunter but her could find and kill a deer any day of the week, he knew the land and deer habits from a lifetime of experience. He showed me how to hunt but wouldn't hunt with me said "I was too heavy footed" now don't that beat all.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Thats awesome bear.

I would loved to have had a family member or old timer around me when I was learning. Closest came in the land owner next to my paretns land where I grew up. He told me a few stories and could remember catching a fox at that old stump over there or saw a deer track along the creek and went and got all my buddies to show them....

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I started deer hunting in Missouri in 1959. Deer hunting was not big business then. Equipment was limited and simple-gun, knife, something to eat, coat and boots and a few pocket things.

Spent a lot more time scouting for hunting areas and hunters were quite willing to exchange information on areas they had scouted.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I been hunting since '66 but never went deer hunting until after I got married. I was dunked head first in the world of hunting deer with dogs and found out quick I didn't care for it. What I had learned hunting small game I applied to deer. Some things worked and some didn't. After watching the deer and trying to see what they do I found out that the bucks, especially the ones I wanted, stayed in the deep woods and roamed at night. So even though I see a lot of deer here most is does and spikes still too stupid to hide. I still want that 10 pointer I saw 2 years ago that walked out in my yard after season.

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
i can remeber the guy across the street was a bowhunter and he killed a buck when i was five or six.i think i made my first bow that day and have been addicted ever since.pretty well self taught read alot of mags and spent my childhood in the woods.

·
Registered
70,771 Posts
I got a bucket full of stories in my past. Back in the late 60's we (10 of us) leased 1500 acres outside the town of Quincy Missouri. After a week of hunting on stands we would have a deer drive the last day of the season. Everyone that hadn't taken a deer would be placed on a stand and the rest would be "Drivers". We would tie cow bells to our belts and walk within site of each other through the woods towards the hunters on stand. We would whistle and make all kinds of noise trying to drive the deer to the hunters on stand. Normally we would pick up at least a couple of deer this last day. I always had to wear a cow bell cause I usually already had my deer by then. A lot of times more than deer came through the woods. One time a trespasser came high tailing it back to his truck up on the hiway.

·
Original Cafe'Member
1,721 Posts
;) The best people are that ones that have been hunting... fovever.

Good Stuff.

80 somethin days....:dancin:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
This is a great topic! I've been deer hunting for about 20 years but I'm a young guy still so I love hearing stories from the older guys that hunted back in the day and those that are still hard at it!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I remember back in the day, that you were tagged a hunter if ya found a track, the deer were so scarce!!!! We've got it made these days with the herd size, and quality too!!!

G

·
1st time deer hunting was '68. Bucks only I believe. Never got to shoot a deer till after the service....... way back in 77. Got my first deer, a 7 point buck, with a 44 mag pistol I bought the day before deer season. Only reason I got it then was that he was less than 20 yards away and I didn't have time to pull the rifle out from the front seat of the pickup.

·
Registered
70,771 Posts
My first deer was taken in 1967 on opening day. I had my first box of reloads for my .243 in my pocket. I had 5 shells left after sighting in my rifle and shooting a few coyotes out in Kansas for bounty money. The shells were 65 grain hollow point boat tails. They were really mean on coyotes. I figured they would drop a deer with no problem. After 1st light I saw a small group of deer heading my way down a fence row in a 200 acre hay field. I was in a treestand on the edge of the timber. They kept coming my way but a car was driving down the road that was 50 yards behind me made them turn to my left. They were slowly looping along in no hurry but since I hadn't ever shot anything running before I figured I had to lead them just a bit. They were 100 yds out and I fired at the old doe in front with the crosshairs just a couple of inches in front of her chest. They kept running and I kept shooting round after round at the same deer and holding on the same spot. I was out of ammo and had one round in my pocket as they were running away from me gaining yardage. My heart was pounding in my throat as I reached for my last bullet. They stopped on a terrace 275 yards away. I slipped in my last bullet and took a rest on the side of the tree and held midway on her side. I took a deep breath and let out some of it and squeezed.........at the report of the gun she dropped in her tracks. The other two ran off into the woods. I climbed down with an empty gun and I couldn't see the deer that had dropped behind a terrace. I hurried down to the spot where she had dropped and there she was......my first deer. I learned a lot from this first experience at deer hunting. #1 - never use a 65 gr hollow point on a deer (had to throw away the whole front half of the deer) #2 - Don't lead a deer at 100 yards.(I had been used to goose hunting and leading them with my shotgun) #3 - Don't forget your knife. #4 - Never drag a deer 325 yards to the road when you can drive down through the field. The area where I took my first deer is now somewhere on the bottom of Truman Lake along the Pomme de terre river.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
well i have been hunting them since early 70s and i guess i am still learning my first three were does didnt think they made a buck till 76. Since then i have killed a few got one that scored 140 and i did that on hard hunted public ground.still can see him that day as clear as ever wow isnt life great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.