Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Oklahoma bound...back with deer and pics

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  ad870 
#1 ·
My oldest son and I leave tomorrow morning for Oklahoma rifle season. Wife and youngest son will join us on Monday evening. We get to stay with Grandma and eat her cooking and hunt at my cousins place. It is close to Pawhuska, OK.

The rifle season out there opens on Sat. and we will hunt through the following Saturday. Hopefully I'll have some good pics to post when I get back.

Update:

Well I hunted 5 days and saw 5 deer. The deer in the pics was deer number 5. It was slow. I saw 1 deer opening day and 4 on Wednesday when I shot this one.

Wed. brought us some cold weather and my cousin and his 14 year old son went out with me that morning and hunted on top of a ridge. We jumped three does on the way in and they hung around for a while but my cousin decided not to take one and his son couldn't see them.

Wed. evening my cousin took his 6 year old out so I went back to the same ridge with my 14 yr. old cousin and we sat on a powerline clearing. At 4:30 this buck stepped out. My cousin was facing down the hill and I was facing up hill. I had planned to let him do the shooting that night but it all happend so fast that I had to go ahead and take the shot or he would have been gone. He didn't run far and we had to drag him about a half mile to the truck.

He is by far my biggest buck and I'm really excited about him. My cousin had several bucks on trail cams this year but just did get a picture of this guy about a week or two ago for the first time. He is supposed to send those to me this week. I will add them to the post.

[file]81657[/file]
[file]81659[/file]
[file]81661[/file]
[file]81663[/file]
[file]81665[/file]

See less See more
#3 ·
Blevely, you've lived about everywhere I've been.

Oklahoma's a decent place to visit.

#4 ·
pics added

#8 ·
nutin wroung with that buck :eek::
:cheers:

#14 ·
Thanks for the nice comments. I am getting him mounted and need some suggestions on how to have him posed. I'm thinking that I should have him looking to the right to show of the left side of his rack....any suggestions?

#15 ·
Great deer!:2thumbsup:

I like a semi-sneak pose, with the ears back, turned whichever direction highlights what you want to see of the rack.. Also, have a spot on the wall in mind, and think about what is the most likely angle people will be looking at him from..... where he goes on the wall, will play a lot in how I will have my Taxy pose him.....:thinking:

Good luck with your mount!:2thumbsup:

#19 ·
Great osage county buck

Just logged in on this great site been a lurker for quite awhile
really enjoy reading and listening and yes learning from all of you guys and gals. I just wanted to say that is a great osage county buck, I am originally from the town of cleveland oklahoma just south of pawhuska.I am now living in missouri and sure do miss seeing them oklahoma deer. Again that is a great deer and good luck in the future.:kewlpics:

#20 ·
Thanks Razortec....Something else about Osage Co. Bad Brads bbq is real good and the burgers at Garrets in Barnsdall are great!

My cousin also kept saying it was a great buck for Osage Co. He seems to think that the deer north of Pawhuska are bigger then the deer south of Pawhuska where his place is.

I'll put the link to some trail cam pics of some of his other deer on here so you can see some more Osage Co. bucks. Glad you joined...there are some great folks on this site.

#21 ·
[file]82446[/file]

[file]82448[/file]

[file]82450[/file]

#23 ·
Osage county bucks

Thank you again for the pics you sure know how to make a guy home sick.I think I will have to agree with your brother in-law on the deer being bigger north of pawhuska and smaller south.One of these days I am going to haveto use my life time licence from okalahoma and get back down there.Keep up the good hunting and thank you again for the pics. :eek::

#26 ·
No problem, I know about being homesick. I am homesick for MO. That is how I found this site. I like the way that Oklahoma does their lifetime license so that it includes deer and turkey tags. I wish MO did it that way so that family members would have a more afordable way to come back and hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.